Can you just close the back of a open back cabinet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibchild

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a TA 15, which I love, and use it with an open back 1X12 cab. I play a lot of corporate gigs, private parties weddings etc. It's wedding season now and here in California that means outdoor gigs. I lose all the tone and most of the sound with the open back. Can I just close the back of the cabinet with some kind of removable panel?
Thanks.

I just closed the back of my 23" open back cab because I needed tighter bass (used with the ED). It works fine and helped quite a lot, but you don't get something for nothing. The closed cab does not sound as free and airy which I miss.

If your getting setup is not cutting outside, I don't think converting to closed back is going to solve your issue. Have you tried lifting your rig up. I use an amp stand for my Express 5:25 combo (similar in output to the TA-15) and that makes all the difference. Sometimes I also use an extension cab which does help at high volume levels

Back