Mesa has new TA30 video on YouTube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonRedSox

Reaction score
Check it out. Being a Roadster guy, I found the clean to be a little too thin for my tastes. I do like the amp overall though. I think I am going to pick one up, although I'm curious to try it out and see what all this noisy reverb fuss is all about. Seems that Mesa successfully hid these noisy in their vids.

I had been long awaiting trying one of these out. My local GC finally got one in last week...and I must say I have so dissapointed by it. The cleans were great, but the drive channel was not happening :( (it was the 2x12 combo btw).

Boston....thanks for the tip. I checked it out and sure enough MB has managed to record this amp without hiss.

Jazzgear.....what was it about the drive channel (ch2 I presume) that dissappointed you so?

Just curious....and I believe other readers would like to know more details as well.....

Boy, I've played a bunch of TA-30's and have yet to experience any noticeable issues with the reverb. In fact, it's one of the best sounding reverbs I've heard.

Anyone who approaches the transatlantic with the expectations of having a high gain modern sounding amp will be sorely disappointed. Its all about classic vintage tones, and having them in one convenient package.

Hi Don,

When you say : « ...have yet to experience any noticeable issues with the reverb... », do you mean that there is absolutly no hiss or noise when you put the reverb/fx loop toggle "on" and/or that this noise does'nt grow when you turn the reverb control higher ?

It's not noticeable when playing or recording IMHO. If you have the amp turned up loud and flip the bypass switch back and forth, I can hear a little added hum, but the amp is so loud that I relation to the guitar volume it's a non issue.

It does increase when the reverb is raised past the halfway point... But I don't personally see any usuable tones at the point, and if you're using the reverb that high for purely a washed out effect, the slight bit of extra noise isn't going to matter.

I wouldn't be surprised if most or all amps with reverb do this, we just don't draw attention to it because we can't hit the bypass switch.

So I guess the bottom line for me is... Yes maybe there is some marginal noise added with the reverb, but it's minimal enough to not have effected my recordings or the way I approach setting the amp up, and the pros of having this seriously great sounding reverb far outweigh the slight bit of extra noise.

It is a total non-issue to me and it's something I think has been blown way out of proportion by individuals who obsessivey look for imperfections in their rig/tone as opposed to just playing and enjoying what the amp is capable of. No offense intended because maybe everyone just has better ears than I do, or if someone has a tube issue, that can make the reverb go haywire.

Thanks for clearing this up for me Don. I'm not "obsesively" looking for imperfections, I was just curious because I was not sure if you had absolutly no noise. I'm all the way with you on the value of this amp and I can certainly live very happily with it. In fact, the only moment that the noise is a bit annoying is when I play at home, at a very low volume. Besides that, as you say, it's not really an issue.

GuyB said:
Thanks for clearing this up for me Don. I'm not "obsesively" looking for imperfections, I was just curious because I was not sure if you had absolutly no noise. I'm all the way with you on the value of this amp and I can certainly live very happily with it. In fact, the only moment that the noise is a bit annoying is when I play at home, at a very low volume. Besides that, as you say, it's not really an issue.

Just for the record, I wasn't referring to you personally as someone obsessively looking for problems, it's just something I've noticed in general, not so much here but on other forums and certainly in our brick and mortar store. :p

I fully agree with your post Don! :D

Personally, I continue to love the fantastic vintage tones that I am achieving from my TA-30 combo after 5 weeks of ownership.

FWIW, I usually play my TA30 with the effects/reverb toggle engaged in both channels with the reverb set quite low 8:30 - 9:30 tops.

However, I have also experimented with the effects/reverb toggle off while playing agressive high gain sounds in the "top boost" mode of Ch1 and the "H1 & H2" modes of Ch2 at high volume with excellent results as well.

Without question the TA-30 is not an amp for modern high gain sounds, but does become "more defined and focused" for high gain sounds offered in the modes mentioned above while pushing the gain and playing at a fairly high volume.

Personally, I love the TA30 combo for my vintage needs! :D

Back