TA-30 reverb problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
There are 2 or 3 threads where this topic has been discussed, so it seems as a good idea to regroup all this in one thread. It will be easier to follow the infos. Here's an update :

- New owners of the TA-30 (mainly heads I think, would like to know from combo owners) have reported a problem with the reverb circuit. There is a noise, hum/hiss, when the circuit is on and the noise increases when using the reverb control. Not a real problem when gigging at high volume but annoying when not playing loud or mainly, when the amp is miked.

- A change of tubes in V5 and/or V6 as been suggested. I did the changes but nothing changed.
- Here is Mesa's response which seems to implie that it's "normal". I've copied it from another thread in this forum :

"This is actually somewhat normal for the TA-30's. The higher the reverb
is turned up, the more hum you will hear. The heads will have a tad
more hum due to the proximity of the reverb tank right next to the
transformers in the amp. This is usually the same scenario for any of
our amps that have reverb. No matter what, once you turn the reverb
control up, you will normally hear more hum. Some amps are just more
noticeable than others.

For most guys that use moderate reverb settings in a live gigging
situation, it's usually never an issue. However, customers that use the
amp at lower volumes in there studio/bedroom and have the reverb cranked
all the way up will be the ones that hear this the most.

There is obviously always a chance that it's the reverb tube causing
more noise than it should in V5 or V6, or that something happened to the
reverb tank in transit.

If the customer has further concerns you can definitely have him contact
us directly in customer service. Then we can further diagnose the
symptom with him over the phone while he has the amp in front of him."

So that's about where we are on this. I sent this message to the technician at the store where I bought the amp and waiting to see if he can do something. I hope that everybody concerned whith this problem could post their infos here. Thanks in advance.

I'm also having a reverb/fx-loop circuit issue but with the 2x12 combo version. Everything works just as it should on Channel 1. However on Channel 2, when I engage the reverb/fx-loop switch I hear the humming hiss, to me it sounds like a ground loop or something; none of the knobs or mode and power switches have any effect the noise. Mesa sent me a tube to try in V5 & V6, I tried it yesterday and it made no difference.
I got this amp mainly for the Tweed mode so the noisy reverb on that channel is killing it for me..

I should have added in my first post that I have the head and that the noise is much more annoying on channel 1.

Already in communication with GB on this snag...

I came into the ownership of a TA-30 1-12" combo last week and have that same situation: there is an audible anomaly (if you can call it that) when those two mini-toggles are engaged. No section in the owner's manual (not that it should be too hard) on getting to those 12AX7's, nor advice so far on this forum besides going to V5/V6 on swapping. Or living with it as stated above in GB's statement which came out of a thread from Haggerty's Music w/ a statement from Mesa.

Everything else about this little critter is nice (I posted a review in HC as well), and it's easy on the back too.

Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

As for getting access to the 12AX7 for the head version, you have to unscrew the bottom of the amp.

The combo has a slightly different design...but I spent last night with it face-down.
One noteworthy item: you have to go to the back of it to set the knobs/toggles.

I just received an e-mail from the "authorized Mesa tech" at the store where I bought the TA-30. The info from Mesa mentionned in my first post is correct. There does not seem to be anything they can do with this.

GuyB said:
I just received an e-mail from the "authorized Mesa tech" at the store where I bought the TA-30. The info from Mesa mentionned in my first post is correct. There does not seem to be anything they can do with this.

Thanks Guy, and if we like everything else about it: we have to deal & live with it.

You're right guitardr, I still like this TA-30 a lot. It's really a bummer that a 1600$ amp has a problem like that but, trying to deal with it, I think that the noise is really not annoying at gigging volume. I don't know yet what happens when the amp is miked. If the reverb noise is annoying I still have the possibility to add reverb at the console... well, I think I can live whith that, at least for a while. This beautiful and portable little amp still has a lot to offer.

GuyB said:
You're right guitardr, I still like this TA-30 a lot. It's really a bummer that a 1600$ amp has a problem like that but, trying to deal with it, I think that the noise is really not annoying at gigging volume. I don't know yet what happens when the amp is miked. If the reverb noise is annoying I still have the possibility to add reverb at the console... well, I think I can live whith that, at least for a while. This beautiful and portable little amp still has a lot to offer.

1. Superb tone & volume to weight ratio!
2. I've used it 3X live and no problem with that little bit of white noise when the REV/FX switch is on.
Yes: it does have a lot to offer - maybe they'll have a solution down the line.
Back at you GB!

A jam yesterday night ; at this volume, really no problems with the reverb (btw, it's a very nice reverb).
I found myself sticking like glue to only 2 voicings instead of experimenting all the possibilities of this amp (it will come later !). With my Godin Passion RG3, I only used the TopBoost voicing on ch.1 and the H2 on ch.2, both on the 30W. The H2 with the gain pretty high (around 3:00) : incredible beautiful tones ! The H2 is "singing". In fact, I was so pleased with these tones that it's only while returning home that I realized that I forgot to try the gain boost on ch.2 :oops:

For clean stuff with no "edge": CH1 without top boost.
For superb AC30 jangle, a few more db's: click on that top boost.
For those singing leads/more definition: CH2, Master pulled, roll off the bass, HI1.
Want to add some of that Boogie "syrup"?: switch to HI2.
Adding some Line 6 POD HD400 or a Visual Sound (on jobbing dates) for mods/delay: done deal.

Yep ! You have them all but don't forget the Tweed voicing ! I did tried it the first day I had the amp : on the 40W setting with another one of my Godin wich has 2 humbuckers and a piezzo (the Flat Five X, the predecessor of the Montreal except that the Flat Five X is with flamed maple) I can get a pretty satisfying jazzy tone. Amazing little amp !

I just purchased a new 112 TA-30 today, and have been playing it for the past several hours. I haven't noticed any significant hum from either channel in any mode with or without the FX/Reverb switch engaged. There is some slight noise when I push the gain/volume, but really nothing that bothers me. It sounds like others have experienced way more noise than I have, but it is impossible to know without hearing what others are hearing.

I do wish the reverb was footswitchable with the included footswitch, but that is not a big deal for me because I usually set my reverb very low anyway. I also realize there is a reverb specific jack in the back where one could include a separate reverb on/off footswitch that would allow for toggling the reverb on/off. I will not opt for that for now.

Other than that I am completely BLOWN away with the fantastic sounds that are easily achievable through this amp!!

In my few hours with it so far.....I am particularly impressed with the awesome "rock tones" that I can achieve out of the top boost mode while following the settings from the manual on the first example setting on the second page. I opted to pull the cut knob (which is indicated as optional in this example setting) to act as a master volume to tame the beast! All that I can say about this sound is WOW!! :mrgreen:

I have spent a fair amount of time in all modes using all of the power selection options....and I am very pleased so far!! 8) This is an excellent sounding amp that is very easy to dial in great sounds in all modes.

Thanks GuyB, and I do understand why this is a happy crowd!

I am loving the amazing sounds that I can achieve with my TA-30. Very easy to dial in great sounds in all modes with the minimal, but effective controls that are offered!! :mrgreen:

The modes / features are well thought out in each channel and offer tremendous flexibility while maintaining ease of achieving great sounds IMO!

it this similar to the HISS associated withthe TA-15 when switching from the 5W to the 15W on the clean channel??

Any update on a fix for this, or anyone else notice this with their TA-30? I ordered one and this reverb hiss/hum was noticable on the US side (in Tweed, H1 and H2) but not on the Vox/British side. It was actually my second TA-30 head - the first one lost power and one of the EL-84 tubes started smoking (that one went back too). Most of my playing is done at low volume so I sent the second one back too. During the time I spent with my first TA-30, I didn't notice the reverb hum. Hopefully M/B finds a fix for this - it's otherwise a great amp with a lot of usable tones.

I have still not experienced any significant "hiss" issues with my TA-30 112 combo regardless of whether or not the loop efx/reverb toggle is engaged in any of the modes in either channel regardless of power settings and regardless of how high I set the reverb control or how loud I am playing.

I have also recently experimented with adding some effects in the loop (basic stand alone delay, chorus, etc. stomp boxes, and a Nova System through the loop of my TA-30), and have not experienced any significant "hiss" issues with this while playing all modes at different gain and power settings.

In fact, I am really pleased with how good my effects sound through the loop of this amp.....at least as good if not more so than other nice tube amps I own.

I am sorry that several of you are having "hiss" issues, but just wanted to mention that I have not experienced any of these "problems" at all with my new TA-30 112 combo thus far after really putting it through paces using a couple of different guitars and several different effects through the loop.

Maybe I am just lucky, but wanted to mention that I have not experienced any problems whatsoever after really putting this amp through its paces.....and I am absolutely loving the tones I am getting out of it as well! :D

I do hope that those of you experiencing problems get it resolved quickly!

Update!

Ok guys.....today I did notice additional noise with the FX/Reverb toggle engaged in both channels of my 112 combo. I really hadn't noticed it before, but maybe I wasn't really listening that carefully previously.

Today, I found it most noticeable in Ch1.....it didn't seem to matter which mode, but the difference was most noticeable in the 30W setting of both channels.

I will say that the amount of reverb that I dialed in didn't seem to matter at all (off to full).
Normally, I run my reverb anywhere from off to 9 o'clock....10 o'clock tops, but the added noise from the FX/Reverb circuit engaged did add additional noise.

All that being said......the added noise level that I am hearing today with FX/Reverb engaged still doesn't bother me because the sounds that I am achieving out of this amp are terrific.

This is definitely not a problem for me while playing at home or gigging, however, I suppose it could be a limitation for some in a recording studio. I don't get to the recording studio very often.....in fact, my last session was about 15 years ago! :mrgreen:

I just thought I'd post so as to not accidentally mislead others who may be considering the 112 combo version, but are concerned about background noise issues. Personally, I still highly recommend it...as it sounds amazing to me!

Back