The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: TA-30 reverb problem
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:27 am 
Mark II

A local store let me bring home a TA30 yesterday to try out. Regretfully, I have to return it today. It is an amzing amp that really captures the VOX and Fender vintage sounds really, really well. ANd, I have absolutely no issues with the reverb making any strange noises, or any other part of the amp hissing or humming. Mesa did a good job on that amp. I only wish that it had a 5 watt setting like the LSS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:01 am 
Mark IV

Jared, don't take the TA30 back because it doesn't have a 5W mode. The 15W setting on the TA30 easily captures the spongier vibe similar to the 5W setting on the LSS! You can capture very good sounds at very low volumes with the TA30 set to 15W if that is your concern. You can also capture awesome tight sounds out of the TA30 when it is set to 40W mode that is really not achievable out of the LSS. The tightest sounds/highest headroom that I was able to achieve out of the LSS was setting it to 35W. Yes, 35W is possible by switching something in the back, but you need to refer to the owners manual because I don't remember how to do it of the top of my head. There is not a 35W toggle on the front of the amp.

Anyway, I would like to add that many people think of wattage in terms of volume......lower wattage = lower volume and vice versa. In reality, wattage settings have more to do with the feel of the amp than volume per se. Lower wattage settings typically offer more of a vintage feel with early power tube breakup while higher watt settings offer more focus to your sound with less forgiveness to your playing.

When I owned my LSS and my Express 5:50......I was able to achieve gig volume levels in the 5W mode setting of both of these amps. I would never gig my TA30 in 15W mode because even though it is a higher wattage than my LSS in 5W mode.....the TA30 just lacks the focus and cut that I need while playing with a band at rehearsal or on stage. However, the 15W mode of the TA30 sounds very good for low volume playing at home because the power tubes overdriving sooner and is a fun mode to play on occassion.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you whatever you decide! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:09 pm 
Mark II

MBJunkie wrote:
Jared, don't take the TA30 back because it doesn't have a 5W mode. The 15W setting on the TA30 easily captures the spongier vibe similar to the 5W setting on the LSS! You can capture very good sounds at very low volumes with the TA30 set to 15W if that is your concern. You can also capture awesome tight sounds out of the TA30 when it is set to 40W mode that is really not achievable out of the LSS. The tightest sounds/highest headroom that I was able to achieve out of the LSS was setting it to 35W. Yes, 35W is possible by switching something in the back, but you need to refer to the owners manual because I don't remember how to do it of the top of my head. There is not a 35W toggle on the front of the amp.

Anyway, I would like to add that many people think of wattage in terms of volume......lower wattage = lower volume and vice versa. In reality, wattage settings have more to do with the feel of the amp than volume per se. Lower wattage settings typically offer more of a vintage feel with early power tube breakup while higher watt settings offer more focus to your sound with less forgiveness to your playing.

When I owned my LSS and my Express 5:50......I was able to achieve gig volume levels in the 5W mode setting of both of these amps. I would never gig my TA30 in 15W mode because even though it is a higher wattage than my LSS in 5W mode.....the TA30 just lacks the focus and cut that I need while playing with a band at rehearsal or on stage. However, the 15W mode of the TA30 sounds very good for low volume playing at home because the power tubes overdriving sooner and is a fun mode to play on occassion.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you whatever you decide! :D

I think that "fun" is the operative word with respect to this amp, in either the 15 or the 30 watt incarnation. And, that is not to distract from it's abilities, of which there are plenty. The LSS is a "fuller" sounding amp, at least to my ears. If you crank it, it holds it's own. If you turn the volume down, on either channel, while the tone is obviousoy not as great as if it was turned up, you can still get a decent tone at low volumes - for house playing when the wife and kid are home. That is the quest: to find an amp that delivers the tone and the volume, turned low, for a Strat and a Lester. How many amps can do that, without pedals??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:34 pm 
Mark IV

No problem, I was only trying to provide my experiences with these two amps. For me the "fun" factor is definitely much higher with my TA30, but that is just my opinion.

Regarding which amp sounds "fuller" is a very subjective topic and depends a great deal on how each amp is set and the guitars that are being played through them

I will say that I feel Ch2 of the LSS is a much darker voicing than any offered by the TA30, which I didn't like as much as the voicing offered with the TA30.

I also agree that both amps provide excellent clean sounds in Ch1 regardless of power setting. Both the LSS in Ch1 and the TA30 in "Normal Mode" offer incredible clean sounds. I might give the LSS a slight edge here, but ever so slight. However, the TA30 also offers the "Top Boost Mode" which to me offers a "Voxish" high gain clean distorted sound that is to die for and not offered in either channel of LSS or any other Mesa Amp as far as I am concerned (including my MkV)! This mode of the TA30 is incredible, and possibly the best in the entire amplifier IMO....especially while playing guitars with single coil PU's.

Also, I must mention the H1 mode of the TA30 because it offers excellent high gain crunch sounds that are just not available in either channel of the LSS IMO. I also like the alternate clean sound of the "Tweed Mode" in Ch2 of the TA30. This is very useful when I am utilizing Ch1 in "Top Boost Mode" for high clean gain rhythm stuff and still wish to footswitch to a cleaner sound for some songs.

Anyway, I just wanted to assure you that you can easily get a wide variety of great sounds with the TA30 112 combo, and at bedroom volumes when set to 15W at low volumes.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:59 am 
Mark II

Any more news regarding the reverb issue? Ive just got the head, very little almost nothing on the channel 1 but on the channel 2 it is there, playing at home at low volume it gets worse turning up the reverb.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:01 pm 
Mark IV

There is NO reverb issue! It is just the nature of the reverb tank, and how it is reacting in proximity to the transformers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:26 pm 
Mark II

Guys check my post on the reverb hum fix for the Mark series amps as all it involves is turning the tank 180 degrees around. This puts the reverbs input transformer farther away from the power trans and reduces the hum.. Try it out as it works on a lot of mesa's amps. Post it and let us know what you find out...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:27 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I'm just going to pile on to what others have rightfully pointed out here and express my concerns as well. The reverb noise is a big problem with all of the TA-30s that I have played. Yesterday I played through a 1x12 and a head and both were very noisy on both channels with the reverb engaged. Today I went to a different store and played through two more TA-30s with the same results. One 1x12 went beyond the annoying hiss with the reverb into full-scall buzzing on one channel. It doesn't seem any better or worse in the heads vs. the combos. Upping the reverb levels or gains didn't aggrivate the hiss much. I intend to buy a TA-30 and two 1x12 cabinets in the coming days and I wish I could use the reverb. With this level of added noise I can't put a mic in front of this thing with it hissing into everyone's monitors constantly. That is a real shame for an amp that will cost me $2500. I would love to hear if anyone discovers a way to fix this problem (e.g. new reverb tube, rotating the reverb or some type of shielding). All I have heard are "proposed" solutions that "might" work. I don't get why any would say this is "normal". I'm not finding this reverb issue with other amps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:29 pm 
Mark IV

stir,

I don't find the background noise on my TA30 112 combo to be a problem. Is there some there....yes, but not enough to cause a problem for me at all. However, I am using fairly high end guitars with excellent pu's...

It sounds to me like you are experiencing a huge amount of hiss while playing through several TA30s in a store. You mentioned that you didn't notice any difference between the head or combo versions. I can't say if there is any difference from my perspective between head versus combo versioin because I have only played the TA30 112 combo in the store.....loved it....and purchased it without auditioning the head version.

Bottom line, if you feel the TA30 has an unacceptable noise level for you....than definitely don't buy it. You might want to give the mini recto a try as it is getting excellent reviews. It does have a bypassable effects loop, but no reverb. Clearly, the TA30 and Mini Recto are very different amps, but who knows.....you might light the Mini better.

Best of luck, and I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:15 am 
Bottle Rocket

Hi all, new to the forum -- just bought a TA-30 rackmount unit, and having a lot of hissing on channel 1 as well (even with the reverb turned down and/or switched off via footswitch). Posted a quick video of the problem. Seems like a lot of noise for an amp in this price range . . . :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMI1BfWg ... ature=plcp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:55 am 
Bottle Rocket

glotts71 wrote:
Hi all, new to the forum -- just bought a TA-30 rackmount unit, and having a lot of hissing on channel 1 as well (even with the reverb turned down and/or switched off via footswitch). Posted a quick video of the problem. Seems like a lot of noise for an amp in this price range . . . :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMI1BfWg ... ature=plcp

Exactly as on my combo.
I wrote Mesa about this. The bottom line was (after having returned the TA-15 with a similar problem and purchasing the TA-30) that they try and make the amp sound good when played and not pay as much attention to what the noise floor is when you don't play a note. Also, the very friendly guy maintained that taking away this hiss would also take away from the sound when played, which sort of makes sense.
In any event - in live playing situations, when there's a lot going on in terms of noise anyway, I never found this to be a problem - only when there's silence, which can make it awkward to use and justify to soundboard guys or band members why there's this noise.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:37 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Yep, I was afraid that would be the answer from Mesa, but just doesn't make sense to me, especially since the amp sounds so damn good with the FX loop bypassed - and considering this costs $1500. I play with in-ears, so I generally have the amp turned down and mic'ed up . . . so I hear my amp very well, and this hiss is going to drive me nuts at gigs I'm sure. Have to believe that Mesa will fix this issue in future revisions . . . but for now, I think I'll have to return it. Frustrating . . .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:27 pm 
Mark II

i have some hiss but only when the master is not engaged in the first channel, then when you turn up the cut control the hiss will be less....on the 2nd channel there is some hiss when the fx is on......anyway you can only hear it at bedroom volume and i can live with that because the sound of the amp is amazing...i think mesa did something that nobody has done before and is probably on the edge of technical feasibility (maybe im wrong...): Vox style circuit (no negative feedback) and fender/marshall/mesa style circuit (negative feedback) together as a multiwatt channel switcher with assignable and tube driven fx loop/reverb in such a compact package...this is no excuse for some issues but its something that you really hear only at low volumes and does not bother me...
I used to have a two rock amp that was almost 3 times more expensive and the reverb hum was similar, the fx loop was not working properly without expensive dumbulator...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:52 pm 
Mark IV

I've noticed that seemingly all modern Mesa's entertain great cleans AND high gain possibilities. And, most high gain Mesa's tend to be somewhat noisy (nothing major and much quieter than most high gain amps), even with the gain and treble knobs set in the middle of their respective ranges. At least that is what my experiences with Mesa's have entailed. With my Roadster and my Royal Atlantic, I've always noticed some "noise" with the gain set anywhere past 2:00. Nothing major, and much less than what is found in other high gain amps (or at least comparable). I even called Mesa and spoke with Marcus and Tien about this. They both told me essentially the same thing. I could either try to quiet things down a bit by buying their SP-AX7 preamp tubes for the V-1 slot, or live with it since that is where a lot of the tone also comes from. I wonder if some of this noise that I've read about is in the TA-30 is from the design itself. After all, getting a relatively low wattage amp to have lots and lots of gain through a complex preamp design, I think, would add copious amounts of noise to the final sound -- since, there is less power amp to cleanly amplify what is created in the preamp. Perhaps much of this noise has to do with, generally speaking of course, Mesa adding lots of preamp gain to the fold. Maybe this is a byproduct of the versatility Mesa is giving their amps. In terms of the reverb noise people have discussed here, I've always thought that reverb tanks further enhance and amplify noise (and the overall sound) inherent in amps. If there is a lot of noise in a design, then that noise may be further amplified by the reverb circuit, when turned up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:53 pm 
Mark IV

The Royal Atlantic is quite the amazing amp. If any of you should decide to leave the TA, I highly suggest giving the RA a spin! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next