The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: TA-30 reverb problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:03 pm 
Mark IV

Thanks GuyB, and I do understand why this is a happy crowd!

I am loving the amazing sounds that I can achieve with my TA-30. Very easy to dial in great sounds in all modes with the minimal, but effective controls that are offered!! :mrgreen:

The modes / features are well thought out in each channel and offer tremendous flexibility while maintaining ease of achieving great sounds IMO!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:39 pm 
Mark II

it this similar to the HISS associated withthe TA-15 when switching from the 5W to the 15W on the clean channel??

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:37 am 
Bottle Rocket

Any update on a fix for this, or anyone else notice this with their TA-30? I ordered one and this reverb hiss/hum was noticable on the US side (in Tweed, H1 and H2) but not on the Vox/British side. It was actually my second TA-30 head - the first one lost power and one of the EL-84 tubes started smoking (that one went back too). Most of my playing is done at low volume so I sent the second one back too. During the time I spent with my first TA-30, I didn't notice the reverb hum. Hopefully M/B finds a fix for this - it's otherwise a great amp with a lot of usable tones.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:00 pm 
Mark IV

I have still not experienced any significant "hiss" issues with my TA-30 112 combo regardless of whether or not the loop efx/reverb toggle is engaged in any of the modes in either channel regardless of power settings and regardless of how high I set the reverb control or how loud I am playing.

I have also recently experimented with adding some effects in the loop (basic stand alone delay, chorus, etc. stomp boxes, and a Nova System through the loop of my TA-30), and have not experienced any significant "hiss" issues with this while playing all modes at different gain and power settings.

In fact, I am really pleased with how good my effects sound through the loop of this amp.....at least as good if not more so than other nice tube amps I own.

I am sorry that several of you are having "hiss" issues, but just wanted to mention that I have not experienced any of these "problems" at all with my new TA-30 112 combo thus far after really putting it through paces using a couple of different guitars and several different effects through the loop.

Maybe I am just lucky, but wanted to mention that I have not experienced any problems whatsoever after really putting this amp through its paces.....and I am absolutely loving the tones I am getting out of it as well! :D

I do hope that those of you experiencing problems get it resolved quickly!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:51 pm 
Mark IV

Update!

Ok guys.....today I did notice additional noise with the FX/Reverb toggle engaged in both channels of my 112 combo. I really hadn't noticed it before, but maybe I wasn't really listening that carefully previously.

Today, I found it most noticeable in Ch1.....it didn't seem to matter which mode, but the difference was most noticeable in the 30W setting of both channels.

I will say that the amount of reverb that I dialed in didn't seem to matter at all (off to full).
Normally, I run my reverb anywhere from off to 9 o'clock....10 o'clock tops, but the added noise from the FX/Reverb circuit engaged did add additional noise.

All that being said......the added noise level that I am hearing today with FX/Reverb engaged still doesn't bother me because the sounds that I am achieving out of this amp are terrific.

This is definitely not a problem for me while playing at home or gigging, however, I suppose it could be a limitation for some in a recording studio. I don't get to the recording studio very often.....in fact, my last session was about 15 years ago! :mrgreen:

I just thought I'd post so as to not accidentally mislead others who may be considering the 112 combo version, but are concerned about background noise issues. Personally, I still highly recommend it...as it sounds amazing to me!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:18 am 
Mark II

So I'll make a change to my precedent post : welcome to this-happy-crowd-with-a-hiss-in-their-reverb, MBJunkie !

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:05 pm 
Mark IV

LOL GuyB.....you got me good! :D

FWIW...I will say the extra noise levels I am hearing with the FX/Reverb toggle engaged would not stop me from using the TA-30 in a recording studio...if I ever get there again....it is really not that bad at all IMO.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:38 pm 
Bottle Rocket

GuyB wrote:
There are 2 or 3 threads where this topic has been discussed, so it seems as a good idea to regroup all this in one thread. It will be easier to follow the infos. Here's an update :

- New owners of the TA-30 (mainly heads I think, would like to know from combo owners) have reported a problem with the reverb circuit. There is a noise, hum/hiss, when the circuit is on and the noise increases when using the reverb control. Not a real problem when gigging at high volume but annoying when not playing loud or mainly, when the amp is miked.

- A change of tubes in V5 and/or V6 as been suggested. I did the changes but nothing changed.
- Here is Mesa's response which seems to implie that it's "normal". I've copied it from another thread in this forum :

"This is actually somewhat normal for the TA-30's. The higher the reverb
is turned up, the more hum you will hear. The heads will have a tad
more hum due to the proximity of the reverb tank right next to the
transformers in the amp. This is usually the same scenario for any of
our amps that have reverb. No matter what, once you turn the reverb
control up, you will normally hear more hum. Some amps are just more
noticeable than others.

For most guys that use moderate reverb settings in a live gigging
situation, it's usually never an issue. However, customers that use the
amp at lower volumes in there studio/bedroom and have the reverb cranked
all the way up will be the ones that hear this the most.

There is obviously always a chance that it's the reverb tube causing
more noise than it should in V5 or V6, or that something happened to the
reverb tank in transit.

If the customer has further concerns you can definitely have him contact
us directly in customer service. Then we can further diagnose the
symptom with him over the phone while he has the amp in front of him."

So that's about where we are on this. I sent this message to the technician at the store where I bought the amp and waiting to see if he can do something. I hope that everybody concerned whith this problem could post their infos here. Thanks in advance.

I am experiencing the same hiss/hum, much more so in CH1, when switching on Reverb/FX loop. It really is quite loud. It's bearable, but still noticeable, in Ch2. When toggling the footswitch FX loop, there's no noise so it seems to be the reverb. It also gets slightly louder when you turn up the reverb, but it's there even when turning that know all the way down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:12 am 
Bottle Rocket

MBJunkie wrote:
Update!

Ok guys.....today I did notice additional noise with the FX/Reverb toggle engaged in both channels of my 112 combo. I really hadn't noticed it before, but maybe I wasn't really listening that carefully previously.

Today, I found it most noticeable in Ch1.....it didn't seem to matter which mode, but the difference was most noticeable in the 30W setting of both channels.

I will say that the amount of reverb that I dialed in didn't seem to matter at all (off to full).
Normally, I run my reverb anywhere from off to 9 o'clock....10 o'clock tops, but the added noise from the FX/Reverb circuit engaged did add additional noise.

All that being said......the added noise level that I am hearing today with FX/Reverb engaged still doesn't bother me because the sounds that I am achieving out of this amp are terrific.

This is definitely not a problem for me while playing at home or gigging, however, I suppose it could be a limitation for some in a recording studio. I don't get to the recording studio very often.....in fact, my last session was about 15 years ago! :mrgreen:

I just thought I'd post so as to not accidentally mislead others who may be considering the 112 combo version, but are concerned about background noise issues. Personally, I still highly recommend it...as it sounds amazing to me!

Has anyone here who noticed this hum been so bothered by it to return it or try to have it fixed? If I knew it possible that the hum can be removed, I'd probably try to do so. In all fairness though, it won't matter much once I play outside of my home studio. Still, for low-volume "home" use, it's quite loud.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:09 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I returned the second TA-30 head I received because of the hum. The first went back because it lost power, came back on, then one of the power amp tubes started to glow orange and smoke. I didn't get enough time with the first one to notice the hum but the hum on the second was considerably louder than the TA-30 heads I tried out at various stores (I purchased mine through Sweetwater - they were great about the problems I had, very good customer service). When I got the third TA-30 head, there was a loud intermittent crackle, loud enough to be heard over my playing. The crackle also occurred when nothing was plugged into the amp with all controls set to zero. We tried a new set of power amp tubes and that didn't fix the problem, so that one went back too. Three times was enough and I moved on - too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:47 pm 
Donating Member

I took the plunge today :twisted:

Bought a TA-30 head used/mint from CL, tried it out at the guy's house through a carvin closed back 2x12" and it was all i was hoping for and more.

Switching on the reverb gave a noticeable hum that got louder the higher i turned up the reverb, but i still thought it was fairly mild and definitely not a deal-breaker. I didn't crank the volume all the way but it seemed as quiet/quieter than I remember my Mk IV being.

I don't have a cab at home yet so it's a little torturous having it sitting in the room with me, but I'm gonna try out a few 1x12's next week when I have some time (thiele is at the top of the list).

Xotic BB Preamp (front)
Sweetsound Mojovibe, TC Flashback Delay (loop)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:56 pm 
Mark II

I have posted a fix for hum/noise problems in the Mark series of amps and MAYBE it will work with these and other newer amps. Check for the post on Mark III and possibly other boogie reverb hum fix in vintage amps before 1991. It is an easy fix which involves just turning the tank around so the input transformer in the tank is not directly below the power transformer which induces hum/noise into the circuit. It works great in combos but the tanks are physically farther apart than they are in the heads.
If it lessens the noise when you turn it but doesn't eliminate it all the way shield the bottom of the tank if it doesn't already have a metal cover. Read my post and let me and others know if this helps or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:50 pm 
Mark II

I'm really glad that one of the local stores that carries Mesa asked if I'd like to take it home for a nite and see how I like it. In the store it sounds fantastic, and of course all of the glowing reviews that one watches/reads on youtube never mention this. How odd. For that amount of money I do not expect to have to live with hiss or hum with the reverb engaged. Reverb is one of the selling points of that amp. I hope that it is not it's achiles heel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:50 pm 
Mark IV

This seems to be a never dying thread, and I do understand people's "concern" about this so called issue. However, the "hum concerns" that have been discussed about this amp is way over hyped in my opinion. My TA-30 combo sounds GREAT in all power settings and modes of each channel, and yes, with the reverb switch engaged!! I always set my reverb level very low on this amp and also "with all of my other great amplifiers" amplifiers.

The amount of "noise" that I receive while playing this amp is far less than older low watt vintage amps that it is replicating (Fender, Vox, etc.) and should not be of any concern IMO.

If you are experiencing "unacceptable noise levels" from this amp.....it is possible that it could be your guitar pickups/cables, effects, etc. It is also possible that "you acceptable noise level threshold bar" is set too high for the vintage sounds this amp was designed to achieve.

Personally, I feel that MB did a great job of recreating the vintage Mojo with this amp, and I don't find it to be particularly noisy at all.....especially considering the noisy and iconic amps that it is trying to "copy". Bottom line, low end guitar pickups, cables and effects boxes can add to the "noise".

I absolutely love the sounds that I achieve in this amp....especially with "Top Boost" pushed and H1 modes!! While playing medium to high levels at home, practice or gigs.......the so called "noise" is non-existent.

I love the sound of this amp for vintage Mojo!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:38 am 
Mark II

To be fair, I too did not hear any aberant sounds from this amp when I was playing it at a local store, and I was the only one in the store playing, and I was sitting on a squat stool almost at the same level as the amp and about 2 feet in front of it, and for most of the time, it was on a volume level that made me somewhat aprehensive that I was making too much noise in the store. I also do not crank the reverb on any of my amps. On a scale of 12 o'clock, I'd say that I keep it around 3-3:30. I look forward to bringing it home and running it beside my Swart AST Master, a hand made $2500, 18-20 watt tweed inspired amp, and the one that might be replaced by the TA30.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next