Quick guide to changing tubes in TA-15

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
So, I decided to try a few different EL84's in my TA last night.... I've owned many tube amps, but the TA is a bit different to change tubes in than any other amp.

FIRST STEP: Unplug the amp!

1st) Take the 4 screws out on the side (towards the bottom) of the head. Use quite a bit of pressure so as not to have your screwdriver slip and mess up the head of the screw. Screws are pretty short.

2nd) Slide off the whole top of the head - BE CAREFUL: Don't jerk up on it too hard, the wire for the cool blue lights is attached to the inside of the head and the other end to the chassis, if you pull too hard you could possibly rip the wires out and have to get them repaired. So go slow while pulling off the top/lid.

2.5) Unplug the wires for the "blue" lights

3rd) The EL84 tubes are held in by tube retainers, these are tricky to remove and I'm still not sure I did it correctly when I did it. You may have to experiment with the easiest way for you. They have little hooked ends that go in to metal lined holes in the circuit board, mine fell out a few times but once I got them figured out, it was easy. You can try pulling the retainers forward or lifting the top of them over your tubes..... Try both and see what way works.

4th) Install new tubes and put the tube retainers back over you tubes.... If you have too much trouble, I suppose you could just leave the retainers off as most heads I've seen don't use them.

4.5) It may be a good idea to test it here before putting on the lid. Just remember to unplug it again if you have to mess with the tubes again.

5th) Plug in the wires that go to the blue lights

6th) Put the lid back on and put screws back in.

Thats about it.... I put some JJ's in my TA, added a little more low end and a crisper top end. Not a big improvement over the Mesa tubes (they did good with these), but there was some noticeable improvement.

Latest posts

Back