What speakers for the TA?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbach

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I'm lusting after a Transatlantic 15 and wondered what speakers you have tried it with and which ones you all like best. I think I saw someone liking Alnico blues which makes sense with the whole Vox thing.
Also what is your favorite cab size for this amp? 1x12 2x12...?

i am at work and literally just walked back up to the computer after playing our TA15 through a marshall greenback loaded 412 with an american special tele and it just sounds fantastic.

i have also played it through a roadster 2x12 with v30s and it's great that way too.

sounded great through a Blue (plugged it into heritage ac15)...sounds good with a g12h30 also (plugged it into a tiny terror combo)

we did a little shootout with a TT, NT15, and a TA15 and the Mesa did indeed sound better than the other two, across the board. (in my opinion, the nighttrain was 3rd, the terror in 2nd place, and the tranny in first.)

I have one on the way and would like to get some viewpoints. Without hijacking this thread, let's hear from more TA-15 owners!

dank said:
I have one on the way and would like to get some viewpoints. Without hijacking this thread, let's hear from more TA-15 owners!

I used it with the Lone Star 1x12 cabinet. Perfect combination!

I have one with a closed back AVATAR 1x12 with Celestion G12H30 70th Year Anniversary. At the gain around 3PM, HI1, bass 4PM, treble 12, it nails AC/DC tone. Very nice speaker handles botthe OD and cleans very well. Clean up a little better than a V30 IMHO.

Pleased to hear about the Avatar. I've been considering one; good bang for the buck.

I finally got the Transatlantic and it is awesome :D
I'm using it with my Fender Pro Junior as a 1x10" cab and it works fine until I have the money to get a cab.

Does anyone know what speaker rating would be minimum to run on 25W mode. I think one Celestion Alnico blue or one Greenback at 25W would be too little and could mean damage to the speaker.

I'm getting ready to get a 1x12 cab for my TA15. Probably an Avatar cab. I trying to decide between the G12H, Heritage G12H and the Alnico Blue. I think I have a handle on the G12H speakers. I've never heard an Alnico Blue. Is it worth the extra money? I'm going for more that classic 70's sound than an 80's or 90's sound. More classic rock than metal or grunge.

Jack

I've got two cabs I use it with:

1) orange 212 closed back with brit v30's. Sounds great.
2) sourmash 112 convertable back (Marshall 18 watt dimensions) with a greenback. Sounds even better. I love the 25 watt top boost setting with this cab.

hbach said:
I'm using it with my Fender Pro Junior as a 1x10" cab and it works fine until I have the money to get a cab.

Does anyone know what speaker rating would be minimum to run on 25W mode. I think one Celestion Alnico blue or one Greenback at 25W would be too little and could mean damage to the speaker.

I wouldn't worry about a greenback or blue.

My current fav with the TA is the 1x12 Theile with a Vintage 30.

hbach said:

I wouldn't worry about a greenback or blue.

My current fav with the TA is the 1x12 Theile with a Vintage 30.

I´m noticing it tends to be a bit loose with an open back cab. I'm trying to get a closed back cab now. It´s just not as easy here in Ecuador.
Any experience with Eminence speakers. Any good combo with a TA-15?

I cant believe how great the mid and low range sounds and Im very very happy with my Made in the USA Mesa Boogie amp and Cab !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MesaCross.jpg

All i've used so far was Celestion V30's. Sounded pretty good. Like to try a Greenback or a Gold/Blue

I use a Bogner 212 Alchemist cab which has a G12H and a Greenback. But that cab sounds equally good with the Vox NT15 and the Mesa TA-15. Forget the Alchemist head, but the cab is quite good. Honestly. I'd rather have a 212 Mesa black shadow cab, but that's a lot of dough and a lot of weight to lug around. :shock:

I first used mine on a 1x12 closed back cab with Eminence Gold Label speaker (thought to be a "Legend" made/labeled for Fender amps) and thought the amp was awesome, great sound, both channels. Then I used it with a huge Bassman 2x12 cab with V30s and was absolutely wowed! With the Bassman cab, I get fantastic cleans on the first channel and killer crunch on the second channel. Then I tried it on an older Marshall 2x12 cab and the sound was darker and not as crisp as with the V30s, still a great sound, but I really prefer the V30s in the Bassman cab. The size of the Bassman cab and the fact that it is ported, probably has some affect on the sound as compared to V30s in other cabs.

I've used a number of different combinations with mine, my favorite is an old Fender Super Reverb Cab that had it's head removed ( Bought it this way, Who Knows, I didn't and never would have.. but ) and the control panel area and back sealed up, it has two alnico blues and a g 10-60 and a g 10-70 in it. It works particularly well with Tweed mode which is my favorite. lets the first channel Vox modes shine and shimmer and can give some heavy thump to the high gain Marshal and Boogie sounds. I've also used it with a Fender two twelve Vibro King extension cab with celestians which is a bit deeper more refined sounding. more modern. I've tried with a pair ( and also just a single one ) of Bag End cabs with Gauss speakers for a real taught articulate Tone that's great for clean country Telle and can be really full, deep and thumpy for hand muted High gain stuff. The four tens are my fave, for grab and go easy to carry simple a single bag end/Gauss 12 will do just fine, sits in the back seat nicely.

I got a used Jet City 1x12 and replaced the OK sounding Eminence with a Celestion Alnico Blue.
Sounds great on the Vox channel as well as channel 2. Took a couple of months to break in at the low levels i play at.

I picked up a used Blackstar HT110, intending to put in a better 10 inch, but grew to like the loaded Celestion G10N40. This is a very cheap option which is showing up used fairly often.

Both cabinets benefited from extra internal bracing and padding.

It sounded great through a Mesa cabinet (Lonestar, I think) for the few minutes I got to try it at Guitar Center.

Hi Everyone, I was originally going to just get the Transatlantc 1x12 but thought it might be a bit boxy sounding so I splashed out and got the TA 2x12 and am very happy with - it has real depth and makes both the Top Boost & Tweed Modes Shine . This my first Head & Cab so I wanted a decent cab for other future Head purchases - maybe a Mark 5! Anyway you owe it to this great amp to get a fantastic top quality cab.

Latest posts

Back