TA-15 Noise in higher gain modes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
Let me start by saying "I love the tone in this amp"! I'm a die hard old school Boogie gut but this thing is the best they have put out in a long time.

I have noticed a little pre-amp noise in channel two. Is this something you guy's noticed or do I have a problem? It's generally at louder volumes and in 15 and 15 watt modes. I am assuming this is normal since there is so much gain. Turning the treble down helps a bit..

mule#1 said:
Let me start by saying "I love the tone in this amp"! I'm a die hard old school Boogie gut but this thing is the best they have put out in a long time.

I have noticed a little pre-amp noise in channel two. Is this something you guy's noticed or do I have a problem? It's generally at louder volumes and in 15 and 15 watt modes. I am assuming this is normal since there is so much gain. Turning the treble down helps a bit..

Yes this is normal. I never use the extreme gain settings at high volume so it is not a problem but I do regard it as a minor design flaw - i.e. the folks at mesa could have narrowed down the gain range. Agree this is the best amp from mesa for a while.

BoogieJem said:
mule#1 said:

Yes this is normal. I never use the extreme gain settings at high volume so it is not a problem but I do regard it as a minor design flaw - i.e. the folks at mesa could have narrowed down the gain range. Agree this is the best amp from mesa for a while.

Thanks for the reply! Reading back I should have proof read my post as it is loaded with typo's! I still love this amp and plan on using it in the studio in the next couple of months.

Does anybody have clips of the Transatlantic pulling off higher gain tones? From what I've heard and read, this thing can pull of low and mid gain tones very well, but haven't really heard much in the higher gain realm. Does the lack of a mid EQ limit the range?

As much as I'd hate to, I'm thinking about selling my Triple Recto and picking up a Transatlantic. I'm not currently playing in any bands and probably won't be for a little while due to my work schedule. My Triple/Stiletto Deuce setup covers all possible ground, except it's a big excessive now. I would really miss that massive Recto sound though. Can the Transatlantic pull off Recto-like tones?

Guitarmiester said:
Does anybody have clips of the Transatlantic pulling off higher gain tones? From what I've heard and read, this thing can pull of low and mid gain tones very well, but haven't really heard much in the higher gain realm. Does the lack of a mid EQ limit the range?

As much as I'd hate to, I'm thinking about selling my Triple Recto and picking up a Transatlantic. I'm not currently playing in any bands and probably won't be for a little while due to my work schedule. My Triple/Stiletto Deuce setup covers all possible ground, except it's a big excessive now. I would really miss that massive Recto sound though. Can the Transatlantic pull off Recto-like tones?

You can most definitely get high gain tones! The distortion is thick and musical. I love this thing. You might not get a scooped EQ Metallica type tone but then again I have not tried. I will now just to see if I can.

I've had my TA-15 for a few years now, played many styles of music with it, and it's my go to amp, but I don't consider it high gain...at least not like a rec, not on it's own. If I need more saturation or sustain, I use a pedal in front; which is most of the time for me.

I haven't had a big problem with noise in higher gain modes, but I always order low noise/microphonic NOS preamp tubes. I was running a high gain 12AX7 in V2 but preferred the tone with a low noise/microphonic tube in V2.

So far as achieving higher gain, I've thrown a tube boost as well as a solid state boost in front of this beauty and got some great high gain stuff that was on the verge of insanity.

Just curious...what kind of speaker config are you running?

Yes I've heard some hum on channel 2, but only when I'm driving it with additional overdrive from my pedal board: I usually play channel 2 in its H1 "Marshall" mode, gain knob set to about 12 o' clock for crunchy rhythms, and I'll kick in some additional gain for leads, that's when it can get noisy with my TA-15.

As for proper high gain sounds with the TA: I don't think you'll get truly modern, or mid-scooped high gain with the TA unless you use some outboard EQ and additional gain, it's a more vintage voiced amp to my ears, even on H2 mode on channel 2. Nor, with a 15W power stage (or even 25W on Dyna-Watt setting), are you going to get bowel-emptying thumping lows, although that's going to be influenced by what speaker(s)/cab(s) you're running it through. This amp takes gain pedals brilliantly though, so if you can find your "base" tones with the TA-15, they can always be boosted or dirtied-up as required using pedals.

I played two gigs with my TA-15 "mini-stack" (through two 1x12 Lonestar cabs loaded with the Black Shadow speakers) this weekend, I usually play out with my Lonestar Special 2x12 combo so it's been a while since the TA-15 had a proper outing, and I've got to say that for great vintage inspired tones, the TA-15 really is hard to beat... I absolutely love my Lonestar Special, but there's just something about the TA-15 that just blows me away... so simple, so cute, so brilliant!

Yeah it's got enough gain but not modern mid scooped gain. I've found using channel H3 and messing with the EQ gets you the closest to modern gain. With that being said I'm a mark series type of gut anyway lol.

I get a constant hiss with mine regardless of what channel I'm on...even on the clean channel with no pedals pushing it. It's not overly loud, but a bit annoying when not playing, or in between songs.

Iceman63 said:
I get a constant hiss with mine regardless of what channel I'm on...even on the clean channel with no pedals pushing it. It's not overly loud, but a bit annoying when not playing, or in between songs.

I bet you have a bad 12AX7 tube! Probably in V1.

Thanks for the tip mule. I see V1 is the parallel input stage, I'll try another tube. How much does that postition effect tone? Any suggestions as to what 12ax7 to try? Right now I'm all stock. I have a couple of JJ's and a no-name 7025 laying around. I was thinking about trying something different in V2 anyway as it's the gain stage for channel 2. (tone shaping for channel 2?)

Iceman63 said:
Thanks for the tip mule. I see V1 is the parallel input stage, I'll try another tube. How much does that postition effect tone? Any suggestions as to what 12ax7 to try? Right now I'm all stock. I have a couple of JJ's and a no-name 7025 laying around. I was thinking about trying something different in V2 anyway as it's the gain stage for channel 2. (tone shaping for channel 2?)

I'd start with anything that's good just to verify the bad tube and which one. V1 is the likely troubled tube but could be any. As for which tube for tone it's up to the ear. You cant go wrong with a Mesa tube but it's fun to experiment. Tone is subjective but I like tung-sol 12AX7's. Don't forget if you bought the amp within 6 months Mesa will warranty that tube!

I rolled some tubes through V1 as well as V2. No change in the hiss, just the nature of the amp. Very little if any change in tone either while rolling tubes through V2. But the only ones i had was a JJ and a 7025.

I've got a good amount of hiss and hum in both channels as well, and the people at boogie said that the design of the amp to get those tones means there is a certain amount of noise in the amp. It surprised me, because my mini rectifier is completely dead silent on the clean channels, but there is always some noise on the TA-15, to the point where I went into a store to try a different one, and it seemed to have the same issue.

Hmmmm :roll: Are you using single coils? Mine really isnt that bad. However I am considering a mini rectifier! Do you like that better?

mule#1 said:
Hmmmm :roll: Are you using single coils? Mine really isnt that bad. However I am considering a mini rectifier! Do you like that better?

Nope, this happens even with the guitar volume all of the way down.

I really like the mini rectifier. I can't get as much character out of the cleans as I can with the TA-15, but they are super clean. I can turn the master volume all the way up, and use the gain control for volume, and it is pretty much silent. If I do the same with the TA15 I definitely get some noise in the background.

As for the dirt, I can't seem to get a good sound out of the TA15 for higher gain stuff. It just sounds buzzy and farty and all around not like what I want. The mini rectifier sounds amazing to me in the vintage channel.

To be fair, I haven't spent a ton of time with either amp, but the mini rec definitely fits me better than the ta15. Since I don't really ever play live and do everything in the studio, it's nice having the two different amps for a variety of tones.

good to know! I am wanting the mini rec! I want to use it as a backup live to my MK V. It's got great tone. I use the TA-15 for my backup now. Check out the clip below. I am using the TA-15 when I thought I had an issue with my main rig. It turned out to be a user error lol. However this was when we opened for Blues Traveler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnNzqtS1o4&feature=player_embedded

Cool stuff, It looks like that little amp was able to pull off some big gigs!

I really like the mini rec, although I haven't dialed in a great clean sound from it yet. Once I put some more time into it, though, and find something I like, I may end up getting rid of the TA15 (although who knows, with a little more time into the TA15, maybe I'll change my mind).

Latest posts

Back