TA-15 for clean sounds?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pusher

Reaction score
Maybe this has been asked and answered, but now that some of you have had time to really play the TA-15, can you maintain super clean sound at a rehearsal or gig with a loud drummer and bass player?? I almost always use the clean channel on my Express 50, and get my crunch from my Boss GT8.

I would LOVE to have a lighter amp - my back gets torqued carrying it three times a week. SO:

What's the better move? Express 50 to a TA-15 or a TA-30?

I need your experience. . .

Depends on your needs, but the TA-15 has lots of cleans, I can only imagine there's ton's more headroom on the TA-30

Like Jazzgear said. I have no problems keeping a clean sound either on the normal voicing of channel 1 or with the tweed voicing of channel 2, even on the 15W mode. If you need more, the 25W can give you what you want. So the 40W of the TA-30 surely will give you enough clean headroom. And remember, even at 5W, this amp is very loud !

I totally agree with JAZZGEAR and GuyB. I've got possibly the loudest drum on earth and rarely bump the amp to 25 watts. If I really need more, I'll add a second cab (Thiele widebody is the norm, but I'll add a 2x10 to move more air). The amp just sounds so good at 15 watts--the best AC15 Top Boost Vox never made!

That said, The TA 30 is going to have a lot more headroom. Your trade-off is size and weight, though. The TA 15 and a 1x12 cab is pretty light and portable!

Bottom line is that you can't go wrong!

I've played many gigs with 15wt amps voiced around the AC15/30... If you want CLEAN cleans, you may want to look at the TA30. The TA15 is a beautiful sounding amp with probably my favorite cleans in a Boogie (ever), but at 15wts (where I think it sounds best) you don't have a whole lot of headroom - especially if you have a loud drummer. The 25wt mode gets closer, but I think the TA30 is going to get better cleans at a louder volume.

Too bad you can borrow a TA15 and try it? With a 2x12 or even a 4x12, it may be loud enough?

This is one of those boarder-line questions that opinion comes in to play too much and it all depends on how loud you like your cleans?

I've owned SEVERAL (about 20) AC15/30 voiced amps, mostly botique. The TA15 is probably in the top 3 for my favorite.

Jaosn

Just played my first gig with the TA-15. It was set to 25W and I used the TOP-Boost for cleans (I´m not that keen on the Normal Mode). We had a sit in drummer that was very loud for one song that I played a clean sound on with a Strat's middle pickup and some delay. Absolutely awesome! :D But there was definitively some breakup when I hit the strings a bit harder. I love it that way but if you want absolute sparkle you probably should consider a higher power amp.

Latest posts

Back