In a Real Pickle - TA-15 :- TA-30 Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
I think I need an intervention :oops:

Okay so I finally have an ultra small tube amp I absolutely love. Yes I was a *******-ly needer of Verb and loop in the amp,,,,,,, but dammit, I must confess that I am not right and need my ears checked......cuz I swear I'm hearing things; I could swear that I hear verb in the lushly swirly Top Boost Mode in 15 wats, what the hell? Am I losing it, is it a new form of tinnitus?

Seriously, I am absolutely loving this amp. But I still can't shake that at my core I need to have verb and loop in the amp (though the TA-15 is making a liar out of me). Well, I wouldn't have even had this internal debate if Mesa was not releasing the TA30 with all missing bells and whistles us Verb'ies and loop'ies need.

So I have a dilema.... I will still be well within the return window to GC to end back the kit I absolutley love the way it is for something that although on paper promises to just continue where the TA left off. If I return the head and cab, I'm basically needing just another $250 to get the 1x12 combo.

I am not anythng more than a combo person 1x12 or 2x12 tops -- with a preference towards the 1x12. So the versatility of the head form factor doesn't really apply to me cuz I find carrying two items more combursome than the one.....and especially these lighter builds from Mesa.

So am not sure what I want to do....return he current kit and upgrade to the TA-30? Or keep what I have, let the market play itse;f out with the new version and wait for the Used ones or store stock to A/B (of course my 30 day window will then be closed...and I would be stuck to turning over my current kit at used prices vs full refund.)

Advice needed....Help :oops:

If you'd rather not use outboard pedals, and want reverb, the TA-30 would seem the better choice. Since I use a small pedalboard with my TA-15 in order to use other effects, adding reverb was easy, and I retained the smaller size and weight of the TA-15 over the TA-30.

Another way of looking at this, which was the analysis I did since I was in the same position as you in having bought a TA-15 only a few days before the TA-30 was announced, is to consider whether moving to the TA-30 actually puts you into a rather different class of amplifier - bigger, heavier, louder, more features. I thought that if I was going to move "up" in that way, I'd actually be better off with something even more capable than the TA-30. In my case, that's my existing Mark IV, or a future Mark V. In other words, I began to think of the TA-30 as more of a stripped down "big amp", than as another flavor of micro/lunchbox-style amps. In the latter class, I think the TA-15 has no competition; in the the mid-size amp category, the TA-30 may or may not be the right choice, depending on your needs.

Hi Jazzgear,

Just had the same "discussion" with myself as you did : solved it (yesterday) by ordering the TA-30 head, in exchange of the TA-15.

I think that the TA-15 is a great amp and I thought, much like you, that I could go by without the reverb and effects loop. I have to say that most of the time, it's o.k. but there are occasions I wished I had those two. I think that the TA-15 is great for somebody that makes a lot of studio work where you can add whatever effects you want afterwards. But for a person like me who makes gigs most of the time, the TA-30 is more of an option. (Well, at least, this is how i'm trying to convince myself... you know... gas :wink: )

Problem for me is that the TA was meant to be what it was made for...and small grab n go or studio amp. I have gigging amps....(see my sig). I would have preferred that the new TA was a TA-15 with loop and verb, at least a loop.

I may return the cab and keep the head, and order the 1x12 combo....so **** hard to beat that tone in that small form factor.

GuyB said:
Hi Jazzgear,

Just had the same "discussion" with myself as you did : solved it (yesterday) by ordering the TA-30 head, in exchange of the TA-15.

I think that the TA-15 is a great amp and I thought, much like you, that I could go by without the reverb and effects loop. I have to say that most of the time, it's o.k. but there are occasions I wished I had those two. I think that the TA-15 is great for somebody that makes a lot of studio work where you can add whatever effects you want afterwards. But for a person like me who makes gigs most of the time, the TA-30 is more of an option. (Well, at least, this is how i'm trying to convince myself... you know... gas :wink: )

Which dealer did you order from?

JAZZGEAR said:

From the same store where I bought the TA-15 : "Centre de musique Victor" in St-Hyacinthe, Quebec.

As for the grab-and-go aspect of the TA-15, (one of the reasons I bought it at first), I think that the TA-30 will still be a grab-and-go tool. I have read somewhere that it will weight around 4 pounds more : still is very portable in my opinion.

GuyB said:
JAZZGEAR said:

From the same store where I bought the TA-15 : "Centre de musique Victor" in St-Hyacinthe, Quebec.

As for the grab-and-go aspect of the TA-15, (one of the reasons I bought it at first), I think that the TA-30 will still be a grab-and-go tool. I have read somewhere that it will weight around 4 pounds more : still is very portable in my opinion.

Ah our northern neighbor....OK I just made the same move....I pondered it some more and played the TA-15 some more and came to the conclusion that my fav mode is the top boost...and only really get a stiffy when it's in 15 watts or higher (the 5 watt is not as sparkly or as exciting here). Though the 5 watt mode is outstanding in the red channel. All in all 15 watts is where the magic lies -- in my ears. Plus I much prefer the combo vs head/cab.

So I am taking the TA-15 back tomorrow and ordering the 1x12 combo. :eek:

I'm following you on this, the 15W mode is the one I also prefer. And, as you said in your first post, I also hear something similar to a reverb in the top boost mode in the 15w mode :!:
I also thought of buying the combo but as I already have one (a Traynor YCS 50, also a superb amp but a bit heavy) I decided to stick with the head and cab : with them, I still can carry everything in one trip.
Congrats ont your new buy. I'm curious to know how the combo will sound and what difference will be with the 4 output tubes vs the 2 of the TA-15. I might write a little review when I will receive it. I hope to have some news from you when you get yours also.

GuyB said:
I'm following you on this, the 15W mode is the one I also prefer. And, as you said in your first post, I also hear something similar to a reverb in the top boost mode in the 15w mode :!:
I also thought of buying the combo but as I already have one (a Traynor YCS 50, also a superb amp but a bit heavy) I decided to stick with the head and cab : with them, I still can carry everything in one trip.
Congrats ont your new buy. I'm curious to know how the combo will sound and what difference will be with the 4 output tubes vs the 2 of the TA-15. I might write a little review when I will receive it. I hope to have some news from you when you get yours also.

I'm leaving my TA-15 head on layaway until I get the combo, just in case :cry:

I see the advantage of the reverb; effects loop, etc on the TA 30. But for me....and "me" being the key word, my TA 15 covers the bases. I use it exclusively for gigs and am never wanting for more power. I run the green channel in 15 w mode and the red channel in 5 w mode, with a clean boost most of the time for more bite. I also get quite a few compliments on my tone.

Being a former TA-15 owner, I can't wait to try out the TA-30. Like others, no reverb and no loop were why I sold the TA-15, so if the TA-30 has the same sonic goodies as the TA-15, I'm golden :D and the Lonestars will be up for sale.

Matt

Back