Any Loop Mod for the TA15 yet???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidE

Reaction score
The TA30 looks awesome, and maybe I'll look for a used one down the road. But really all I need to make the TA15 perfect for me is an effects loop. I see that Mesa says it wasn't possible to include their tube loop, but has anyone figured out how to put in any kind of loop?

DavidE said:
The TA30 looks awesome, and maybe I'll look for a used one down the road. But really all I need to make the TA15 perfect for me is an effects loop. I see that Mesa says it wasn't possible to include their tube loop, but has anyone figured out how to put in any kind of loop?

I've heard this is a tough mod probably only possible with outboard circuitry and/or FETs also no guarantee the magic would be preserved and cost probably high! Waiting even longer for a used TA30 might be the best option if possible.

OTOH I used to use a loop all the time but am now happy to live without it on the TA15.

BoogieJem said:
DavidE said:

I've heard this is a tough mod probably only possible with outboard circuitry and/or FETs also no guarantee the magic would be preserved and cost probably high! Waiting even longer for a used TA30 might be the best option if possible.

OTOH I used to use a loop all the time but am now happy to live without it on the TA15.

For me, the only thing is that I like delay. Fortunately, I use either an M9 or M13 for my delays, so I can set multiple delays; one with a higher level for the clean channel and one with a very low level for the gain side. Still, a loop would be preferable.

While I understand that Mesa says that they didn't include the loop because there wasn't room for their tube driven loop, they COULD have included a very basic loop with a mini true bypass switch.... :)

The more I think about the TA30, the less inclined I am to consider it because for the price, I think it should have solo boost and the gain boost should be footswitchable.

I was asking a local amp builder (I think it was triode amplification near Tampa fl if my memory is correct) if he could do a simple one, and he said it was wicked easy and cheap. The only issue was space. I called Mesa about it, and they said it would void the warrenty, so I gave up.

I thought the loop was going to be a big issue for me, but the more I use it, the less I feel like I need one. I use a A TON of delay too. Without a doubt, Effects loops make it easier to use reverb and delay, but I think people tend to put way too much weight on their importance.

The price difference between the ta15 and the ta30 is crazy. :)

I just received my TA-15 a few days before the TA-30 became public knowledge. My initial reaction was to want the TA-30 for the loop, boost, reverb and additional power, and I considered returning the TA-15. But, thinking about it, I realized that the reason for the TA-15 purchase was to get a very compact, light, giggable amp, and it maximizes those attributes. Once you start going "just a little bigger", it's a slippery slope! If I want a louder, more fully featured amp, I may as well maximize those attributes and use my Mark IV, or buy a Mark V, which are much more capable than the the TA-30, albeit also heavier to lug around.

I've got a Dr. Scientist mini-reverberator coming to provide reverb for the TA-15, and already find Analogman Bi-chorus and ARDX-20 delay pedals work fine in front it. No loop, no problem, at least for me. I value the compact form factor and light weight of the TA-15 more than any potential incremental improvement in sound quality a loop might provide.

How do you guys handle the difference between the delay in front on the clean channel vs. the gain channel?

The ARDX-20 is a dual delay, so you can have two different settings that are footswitchable. Ditto with the Bi-chorus.

I have a wah, phaser, and OD...not issues yet. I do find my reverb to be a bit more active on the OD channel. Not so much that it bothers me. The real test is the delay. I will let you know when I get it.

DavidE said:
How do you guys handle the difference between the delay in front on the clean channel vs. the gain channel?
For me - if i'm using delay on an overdriven sound then I use an OD pedal up front of the delay.

BoogieJem said:
DavidE said:
For me - if i'm using delay on an overdriven sound then I use an OD pedal up front of the delay.

I'm talking about using the gain channel for a higher gain lead tone.

keep the delay at a lower volume I guess... What kind of delay are you using that is giving you trouble?

I've used a delay in front of a friend's mark IV (it was a carbon copy), and then in it's loop, and we found the difference was minimal. Most people listening wouldn't even notice the difference.

I will say that when I'm using it in front of my transatlantic, I'm usually on the top boost setting.

I'm pretty sure people were using delay before effects loops became popular. Didn't they show up in the 80's?

Latest posts

Back