Back to the Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
For the first time in years, I fired up my Electra Dyne today. The reasons I stopped using it were 2-fold. It's **** heavy! As I get older, carrying that beast out of a gig at 2 AM really isn't all that appealing. Then there is the sensitive master volume issue. I have a work around for that, but nothing will help my back if I have to carry this thing around after a gig.

But! The tone! I have spent a butt load of money on new amps, and in comparison, none have satisfied my ears as well as the Dyne. Ironically, I had to re-learn the amp all over again, but what a joyous experience.

I really wish Mesa would bring back the Dyne in a smaller format with a master volume that behaves like the one on the TC series. I would sell off every other amp I have and just use that one forever. No point in fixing a tone that isn't broken or unsatisfying.

I have same probs :shock:

Amp is not most usable without some external volume device in loop —> reverb will not work

Head is heavy as hell: Hauling head and some cab will make old farts cringe thus playing the guitar is harder when hands are already exhausted :lol:

Still... tones the amp is capable to produce - whoa. Cuts the sales process end every time :mrgreen:

Yes I just "went back" to my combo 27" after trying to sell it for peanuts with virtually no inquiries...don't need the $ so I refuse to give it away, it's such a beast of an amp (in a good way!). I'm now using it every day, love it. Fortunately I'm not gigging so I don't have to worry abpout lugging around ;)

The weight is one of the things that has held me back from gigging with my Dyne, but I may change my mind on that. The tone is just too glorious to leave alone.

Hum...

The unspeakable happened and I sold my ED head :shock:

But fear not - ordered a NOS ED 1x12 combo in British tan colours :lol: I was pondering should I acquire Lonestar special or Mark V but the ED has left it’s Mark (pun intended) on me and could not resist. Found one NOS from German EBay and ordered from there... Combo will be heavy yet still lighter than head + cab and the colour was also deciding factor.

The wait before FedEx truck rolls on my doorstep is horrendous :lol: Christmas in Easter I could say.

It’s here :)

It sounds great and looking good too. :) Easier to move around than head + cab - be it 1x12 or 2x12...

Happy camper at least 5min before realising that I still cannot play the guitar :lol:

Well, If I may throw my .02 in here. I have 4 Electra-Dynes ( don't ask , although the story is kinda funny ) I have a fawn 23" 1X12" combo and I put a Neo Creamback in it. The 23" cab is much lighter than the 27", and the Neo speaker saves another 7.3 pounds. Something for us old farts to consider..

Back