Electra Dyne Volume Taper

Discussion area for Electra Dyne amp.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

jnoel64
Mark III

Electra Dyne Volume Taper

Post by jnoel64 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:29 am

I read a little bit about the DC series having the same issue as the Electra Dyne: master volume goes from too quiet to too loud way too quickly. I read there is a resistor attached to the master output in that series that can be clipped and it supposedly smooths out the taper. I can't find a schematic for the Dyne (and probably couldn't understand it if I did), but I am curious if the Dyne also has that same setup. Anyone ever take a look?

Eevil
Mark II

Re: Electra Dyne Volume Taper

Post by Eevil » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi.

I solved the volume taper issue with extra volume pot in fx loop (simple volume pedal works also.. but I diy’d from parts found at home). No mods needed in amp itself which is nice.

Other mod would be to mod the reverb circuit to return the wet signal before fx-loop so that it would not be parallel to fx loop.. but no idea what would be the total effect to sound/feel... currently the reverb doesn’t work if the volume is under 8 o’clock
Current:
- Electra-Dyne
- Mark V
- 2x12 Recto horizontal
- 4x12 Stiletto slanted
- Gibson R7 Goldtop
- Custom strat
- Ibanez RG1527

jnoel64
Mark III

Post by jnoel64 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 am

I've used one of those volume boxes in the loop of another amp and it seemed to work ok. That was before I actually used the effects loop, lol! I suppose I could put one of those at the end of my effects chain right before the return. I'll have to try that.

YellowJacket
Dual Recto

Post by YellowJacket » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:16 am

The volume taper on these things is ludicrous. I have a 1 x 12, which is useable, but I found a torpedo live is the best solution to tame the beast!!