Electra Dyne + 4x12: which one?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TubeStack

Reaction score
Anyone using their Electra Dyne head with a Mesa 4x12?

If so, Standard or Traditional?

I’m wanting to pick one up used, but there’s only ever the Standard/oversized ones locally, never any Traditional ones available.

But with the ample bottom end of the Dyne, especially with my LP, I’m thinking the smaller Traditional would be better. Keep the mids prominent, more hard rock/classic rock. Or maybe the Dyne with the monster Standard cab just sounds epically huge? 8) Or is it too boomy?

I’m currently using a Recto 2x12 and love it, which I’d still use for most gigs. The 4x12 would just be for rehearsals and the odd gig. Also, I’d probably get a straight one, as I much prefer those over slanted (although maybe a slanted Standard would help counter any boominess/flub...)

My band is a power trio, classic rock/blues rock. On the heavier side, at times.

TubeStack said:
Well, thanks for all the help. :lol: 8) :shock: :mrgreen:

Yep. This forum is pretty slow :)

I have the stiletto 4x12 which is the same as traditional 4x12 and I’m pretty content with the tone I’m hearing. So I can recommend the traditional/slant version. The oversized would be too bassy for the ED IMO.

Also I have the recto 2x12 horizontal and most often the 2x12 is the cab that goes to gigs etc. Sound wise the cabs have similarities but the 2x12 feels boomier and has a tad more brightness compared to 4x12.

Eevil said:
TubeStack said:
Well, thanks for all the help. :lol: 8) :shock: :mrgreen:

Yep. This forum is pretty slow :)

I have the stiletto 4x12 which is the same as traditional 4x12 and I’m pretty content with the tone I’m hearing. So I can recommend the traditional/slant version. The oversized would be too bassy for the ED IMO.

Also I have the recto 2x12 horizontal and most often the 2x12 is the cab that goes to gigs etc. Sound wise the cabs have similarities but the 2x12 feels boomier and has a tad more brightness compared to 4x12.

Great info, thanks!

I’d love to find a used Traditional, but I’ve never seen one around here.

Do you think a slant oversized would still be too bassy?

The Electra Dyne is too bassy and the bass comes up as the volume comes up. I think the solution is to turn the bass down until it gets to where it needs to be. The standard cab is more scooped with more highs and lows. It is a bit loose or ‘saggy’ and can sound a bit boxy. The traditional rectocab has smooth treble and a nice big and round midrange. Depending on what style you play and how much power handling you need, a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks May be a great option.

My student has an Electra Dyne with a 2 x 12 rectocab and it sounds killer. This is certainly another great option. I do not think you will have any volume problems with this amp, even with a 2 x 12. It does loud and louder!!!

For me personally, I love the sound of a tube head so I got a torpedo live for all my low volume needs.

If I was in the market for a 4 x 12 I would probably get a traditional rectocab and swap out two speakers for G12H 75s or WGS ET90s.

TubeStack said:
Great info, thanks!

I’d love to find a used Traditional, but I’ve never seen one around here.

Do you think a slant oversized would still be too bassy?

I haven’t used the oversized cab THAT much to say that it’s too bassy for certain in every use case :) but it does tend have a bit boomier low end.

Of course boominess is a factor of tone/cab/room and my testing was done in smallish concrete rehearsal space so in other room the result could be a bit different :p

OP here. Just following up that I did find a Traditional Mesa 4x12 cab and it sounds incredible with the E Dyne!

Back