Really digging my Electra Dyne lately.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I've had the ED since it came out (serial number 150). It's a good amp and I like it a lot, but it's never quite been able to be my #1 go-to amp. It was missing something and I could never quite put my finger on why.

Turns out that something was the right overdrive... the Mesa Grid Slammer helped boost me into high gain territory that I could never quite reach before, and it's voicing is well matched to the Mesa midrange in a way I haven't found in other ODs.

(although the Maxon OD808 does get an honourable mention)

Agree that the Electra Dyne is a great amp for many styles, but just needs a little extra gain for metal.
I've been using various boosts (TS9, Boss SD1, Green Monkey) and they all sound good, but all sound a little different.

Grid slammer sounds like a great match. I might have to grab one.
Any chance of audio clips?

Busy tomorrow but I can probably get something up Wednesday.

I don't know how well it'll translate through a microphone. I'm sure it'll sound like an overdriven ED, but it's one of those things where it feels really good paired with the amp.

For me, it was the BB Preamp that gave me the extra push I needed. To my ears, it kept the original tone of the Dyne, just added some more punch to the drive.

This happened to me also :)... but I just changed pickups and that was the key for me.

I used to have SD JB/Jazz combination in my LP and was struggling a bit with overwhelming boominess and also with little bit too rigid feel when playing with gainy today tones. Had similar problems with Roadster.

Couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of Gibson Burstbucker pros and threw them in to the LP... this added lot of harmonic content to tone and the boominess was gone. Gets certainly some time to get used to tone without balls after 13 years of JB :mrgreen: IMO the clean tones also works better now than with SDs...

I was kind of wary cause of lots of negative comments in corksniffer boards but again certain tools work for certain situations.

With new pickups it's pretty easy to achieve singing drive sounds that react to touch well and by using vol/tone cleans up nicely.

Quick clip recorded with iPhone :p
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pns8gvp2unqbwfs/Brrllttkkr_Track1.aiff?dl=0

The best gain boosting pedal I've found is the ol' tried and true TS-9. I use a TC Electronic Spark in the FX loop for a volume boost.
The Spark also works great as a gain boost. The Spark will give you a full range, very transparent boost. If you just want more gain, the Spark will do it. With 20db of gain it will boost the living sh!t out of it. However, because it's boosting the low end just as much as the rest of the frequency range, it can end up boomy and loose.
This is where the TS-9 really shines as a boost for the Electra Dyne. It lops off some that boomy low end, and adds just the right mid frequencies, and the right amount. The top is left alone.
I use the TS-9 as a gain boost, and the Spark in the loop as a solo/volume boost. Again, with the Spark's 20db of clean gain it'll make your amp blast the windows out.

A TS9 type pedal in front of the blue channel is absolutely the business. I actually prefer this to the red channel the majority of the time for higher-gain stuff.

Currently using a Mooer Green Mile, which has a “hot” switch to emulate the Keely Baked TS9 mod. Level full, tone at 2:00, gain all the way off. It’s a fantastic sound for 90’s punk and old-school metal.

Back