The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Joining the ED Club
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:32 pm 
Mark IV

Amp landed today. Gave it a spin for about 20 minutes.

If it's going to be like this, I am not going to be needing any more amps, ever. Holy smokes, it's even better than I remember it.

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15
Lone Star 27, 23 & 19, RA 27 1x12, WBCB 1x12 Cabs

http://www.damonwood.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:37 pm 
Donating Member

Enjoy!

2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:04 pm 
Mark III

I am one of the EL34 users. I bought mine used and it had some EH 6L6 power tubes in it. I already had ordered a quad of Tung-Sol EL34Bs, so I put those in it. Then I put all Tung-Sol preamp tubes in...I was done. Nothing has ever sounded this good to me. I did try some Mullard EL34s, but yanked them as soon as they cooled after my first test run with them...went right back to Tung-Sol. I may want to try some KT-77s, but haven't really found the need to try those yet.

For speakers, I primarily use WGS British Lead speakers in an open-back 2x12 cab. Pure creamy smoothness. My ears have never been happier.

As you can see from my sig, I primarily use Duncan pups. I don't have any issues with the clean channel losing sparkle. My volumes stay consistent across all 3 modes. It took some tweaking, but no where near as much as my Road King required. That's what I love the most about this amp (and the thing so many complain about) - it's simple. Pure and simple.

EVM, Eminence, and WGS speakers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:54 pm 
Mark IV

Yeah, mine came (used) with a set of Mesa EL34s, which actually sounded pretty good. I'd already decided I was going to use 6L6s and ordered a set of Rubys from Doug's, along with a preamp tone kit. I like everything I've heard so far, so I guess I'll probably leave the set I ordered in there for a while. But I did like the EL34s too. When I first tried an ED at Guitar Center long ago, I was amazed at how Marshally it sounded with the stock 6L6s and thought it might sound even better with EL34s... but so much of that is in the design of the amp itself.

My pedalboard is going to need to change up a bit though. My Gain Changer and Compact Direct Drive sound a little bit brittle going into the Clean mode (Gain at about 1:00). Not that I really need EITHER of those pedals anymore, but I do like having the light OD option for certain things, which the GC is so good for. I am probably going to try a Timmy or POT instead of the GC. And I may swap a fuzz in place of the CDD, just for variety's sake.

I do really like how my EP Booster sounds so far. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to open this up with a band, so I'm hoping things don't change drastically at volume.

Speaking of which, I remember how incredibly powerful the amp is, but I am impressed at how good the Master Volume is on the ED. So far I haven't experienced any of the "jumpy" volume thing. Seems very user-friendly so far.

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:23 am 
Dual Recto

djw wrote:
Amp landed today. Gave it a spin for about 20 minutes.

If it's going to be like this, I am not going to be needing any more amps, ever. Holy smokes, it's even better than I remember it.

Wow, that is almost identical to the setup I have. Mine is the long tan head with a matching tan 27" 1 x 12.

Yes, the amp definitely crunches well and I think it really likes Les Pauls and Teles. Although I've gotten some really cool tones out of it with my super strat!!

Also, RE the jumpy volume. Somehow that mc90 in that 1 x 12 just co-operates well with the amp head. It's pretty neat!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:22 pm 
Mark IV

@YellowJacket: Nice! I am actually waiting for a black enclosure for the head, which I found for pretty cheap on eBay while I was waiting for my amp. The plan is to go all-black. But the tan is kind of growing on me. I don't know. Think I'll be happier with black.

Definitely friendly with LPs and Teles. My SG sounds pretty amazing too, and in truth I don't expect I'll be struggling with any of my guitars too much. I am amazed at how organic and clear the drive is on this thing! It cleans up really well and is super dynamic in every mode. I can even play that famous rhythm guitar part from Love Rollercoaster, Tele/middle position, with gain pretty far up... sounded amazing and clear and snappy. Even more so in that regard than either of my Lone Stars. VERY cool.

I don't think I'll be needing any more amps.

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:54 pm 
Dual Recto

What are you planning on doing with the tan medium head when you swap it for black? **curious**

I much prefer the tan over black personally, but I can understand wanting a black head to match the cab. It's significantly harder to change the tolex on the cab!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:13 am 
Mark III

I like the tan 27" head and 1x12 cab setup best. If I could trade my 1x12 combo I would. I like how it looks, it's just so heavy. I love the tones though!

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:34 pm 
Mark IV

YellowJacket wrote:
What are you planning on doing with the tan medium head when you swap it for black? **curious**

I much prefer the tan over black personally, but I can understand wanting a black head to match the cab. It's significantly harder to change the tolex on the cab!!

Yeah, I don;'t know... the tan is sort of growing on me, even though it doesn't match. But one way or another I am going to offload whichever one I decide not to use. So... I'll announce it here first.

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:57 pm 
Mark IV

Anyway, after banging on this thing at home for a few days, I have some findings to report.

1. The amp is AWESOME. I also have a nice old 2204 JCM800, and the ED has the same touch-sensitivity and dynamics that I love about the Marshall. Maybe more so. With the reverb and smoothed out response, it's just a pleasure to play. Feel, feel, feel. Very addictive, just like the Lone Star but in a different way. The low end rumble is so fun to feel in the flooor. Just awesome.

I cannot wait to get this into a band situation, but that'll have to wait a couple of weeks.

2. My amp was used and shipped with Mesa EL34s installed, which I jumped the gun on and swapped out for some Ruby 6L6s... but after some time with the amp, I decided to reload the EL34s that it came with. Something about them. Maybe I'll change my mind after I gig with it a little, but I like the breakup and brightness just a little better with the EL34s.

3. I've been hearing Les Pauls and Teles with this, and that's been my intention with this amp and the project I'm going to use it with. However, I just spent some time with my Strat (a fairly modded American Deluxe with Dimarzio Areas) and it sounded AMAZING with the Electra Dyne! Soooo good! The touch-sensitivity of the amp really plays well with the chime and jangle of the Strat.

4. I really like the Vintage Lo mode. It's a bit dark, but I could see compensating for that with some treble and using it all night.

5. Still really liking my EP Booster with this amp.

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:30 pm 
Mark IV

YellowJacket wrote:

Just an FYI, https://reverb.com/item/2169089-mesa-bo ... head-shell

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15