Electra Dyne No Volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Posting this because the sub forum has been dead and we need SOME content.

So, Electra Dyne - which usually has mountains of power - has nothing. (First time this happened) It sounds thin like the MV is almost off no matter how high you turn the MV. I'm guessing it's the Phase Inverter tube. I'll report back once we do some tests here!

So the test was inconclusive.

V7 didn't fix anything.

V6 didn't fix anything.

I noticed that V4 was not lighting so I jimmied it and turned on the reverb. The amp roared to life. I jimmied V4 again and the amp cut out and started sounding thin and trebly with no volume.

Then jimmied v4 and the amp roared to life again. Then I swapped v4 for a new preamp tube and it's been running fine.

I'm wondering if there is a loose solder joint somewhere? Trying to decide if I should get it inspected.

the effects loop switches in/out when a plug is inserted/removed front the FX send jack. I've had the switch stick after removing the cable before. If I remember correctly the symptoms were similar.

I also plugged in the slave out once.... :oops:

screamingdaisy said:
the effects loop switches in/out when a plug is inserted/removed front the FX send jack. I've had the switch stick after removing the cable before. If I remember correctly the symptoms were similar.

Yes, it definitely could be this but it wouldn't explain why when I jiggled the tube that the sound was getting loud and then REALLY quiet. Although it did sound like a switch of some sort had been triggered. It was definitely operating fine with the exception of being really quiet. No weird smells...

I also plugged in the slave out once.... :oops:

LOOOL!!! It would be easy to do if one did not look closely.

OK, there is a 99% chance that the FX loop switch is sticking. I had gigged with the amp and it was fine but I was using my Delay pedal in the loop. When my brother tried using it without FX, it had that weird sound. I replicated that weird sound by plugging a patch cable into the return but then got the amp to work properly by plugging the other end of the cable into the send. I'll just have to email Mesa about this and see what they say.

Also, if your fx loop connections on your pedal board are reversed it'll make the same wierd reverb-y sound.

Back