Simple mod - would it work??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wekiitoedzo

Reaction score
Well I use it almost 3 years now and just realized a simple thing that would resolve volume and gain issues. First of all I'm not a high gain player i use it with the gain trim set on "hi/low", volume 2:30, treble 2:00, mid 11, bass 12, presence 12.
However sometimes i would need to go in the high gain territory especially for solos and sometimes ... you know.
What i would need is a simple 3 way foot switch (a second one) that can control the gain trim. So i could just put the gain trim easily to "clean" and wow i got plenty gain immediatly at the red channell. What do you guys think about it? I am not an electro-man at all, but don't think it is so difficult to get it connected to a footswitch. Wonder what authorized boogie would say to this issue as well.

Pedals, Tubes, ya ya ya. I think a footswitcheable 'gain trim' feature would cause a huge volume boost and something in the circuit would have to be redesigned to make it possible.

My solution has been the following: I run the gain fairly high and rely on the volume knob / coil tapping to reduce the input into the amp, kind of the opposite of a boost pedal! I generally have my neck pickups set lower and my bridge pickups set higher so I can get a more dynamic tone out of the neck pickup and more gas out of the bridge for crunch rhythm and solos. Hope this helps 8)

My short answer is, I don't think bringing out the gain trim will be as simple as it looks.

The gain trim switch most likley switches the audio signal. This means that you are going to have to take the signal out of the amp and bring it back in for the simplest method. This will lead tone loss and possible noise problems. To do it right, you would have to do something like add a relay inside the ED to do the signal switching inside the amp. You then switch the relay on and off remotely from a foot pedal.

+1

You may get lucky and the gain trim switch may already control a relay or analog LDR, which would mean you could bring it out directly.

Hey Elvis! How many percent are you sure about the lucky-relay thing?
Authorized Boogie wont help :(
If i am lucky that mod is really simple isn't it?
Thanks

Gain Trim is in the circuit directly. Simple function, just grounds one or another resistor (or neither). You would want to add a couple of relays to wire it to the outside world. Easy enough. They already use relays for switching other stuff and have a 12V supply available for it. You could control the relays with a TRS plug and a couple of LEDS (the same way as channel switching) and put the relays in parallel with the existing switch so the function would still work without the external switch.

It would need to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Back