Boost for your ED?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccart125

Reaction score
I recently got a Boogie Five Band Graphic (from Pedal Genie) and really like it in front of my ED. The amp which is very dark now is now alive!!

More than the EQ I am thinking its the boost that is making my ED shine.. Forgive my ignorance in the matter..

If this is the case what boost do you like as the MB EQ is way too expensive for just a boost.

Cheers,
M

I use the Xotic EP as well and love it for a good boost. Even the AC or RC would work just about as well. But, add the EQ into the mix, and you can boost more than just your volume. Personally, I love the tone of my Dyne so much, I wouldn't think of coloring it any further with an EQ, but that's just my old ears.

Cheap *** Digitech Bad Monkey for boost.
On my 2nd one, traded it for a lunch at the pub
(2 pints/Nachos).
I like it....doesn't "colour" the tone of the amp.

Ep booster colors the tone. Some say in a good way i say in a bad. i sold it. I use the sp compressor and its boost. It's clear, it does not modify your sound. I might buy an rc booster as well.

I have a BB Preamp and a Maxon OD-9. I really like the BB with my ED. Sounds great on all channels.

gibson5413 said:
I really like the BB with my ED. Sounds great on all channels.

+1

I have a Fulltone OCD v4 but I definitely prefer the BB.

I've been playing around with the Pro Tone Bulb Deluxe OD which I got primarily for use with the recto.

It's good for what it does but I find it compresses the 'feel' of the amp which is the thing that is the most magical about the Electra Dyne. Overall, the tone becomes much tighter and more aggressive, with more pronounced harmonic content. It really helps vintage low become far more aggressive with a more modern voice overall. I really like what it contributes to full on, aggressive rhythm playing but for leads, the compressed sound isn't something I necessarily fancy as much. For live playing, boosting vintage hi gives even more mids and cut which is probably a good thing. I will experiment and see what I think.

(It should be mentioned that a boosted Recto is a thing of beauty)

I've been wrestling with boosts for my ED, and I think I have a good thing going now.

First off, I should say that one thing I really like to avoid is using my effects loop. I know, I know... it just adds another setup step and if I'm going to be hauling this amp around, I want to keep everything else as minimal as possible and just run everything straight in, if I can. That unfortunately eliminates my option to put a clean boost in the loop, which is the best and cleanest way to get a volume bump for solos... and I tried that for a while, but argh for such a TINY boost in volume (all we need is a little bit, right?) it just didn't seem worth the extra cable hookup.

But that's just me. Anyway, here's what I am using and I like what I have going right now.

For juicing the front for a little more sustain: Xotic EP Booster.
As a solo boost: Barber Compact Direct Drive.

I was surprised at how effective the CDD is as a solo boost. I'd tried the BB Preamp, Gain Changer, v3 OCD, Fulldrive 2, KOT, POT, Amp11, and a few others. Great pedals, but none of them really helped make my solos more audible in the mix. I run the CDD in Fat/Hi modes, output at 2:00 and gain at 9:00, tone at 12. It gives me *just enough* of the right sort of boost to get over the top.

Another pedal that sounds fantastic with the ED and doesn't color the tone much is the EH Soul Food. That pedal is so freakin' awesome with the ED. Very clear and transparent sounding while giving the amp a little sweet tightening in the low end. I believe it works well with the ED because of low end dominant characteristic of the amp. I've tried it with my Stiletto Deuce and it's just too bright for it (the amp that is). I agree with the other posters here that the ED doesn't really need it, especially at gig volume, but it does sound good.

Got another angle to throw in here. Anyone try a good treble booster?

I picked up an Analog Man Mini Beano Boost and it sounds killer. I *think* between that and a good juicy clean boost (i.e., EP Booster, I'm using a Fulltone 2B Boost b/c of its always-on buffer) I am basically set. I've never used a treble booster before, and now I get it. Actually, now I think I understand how Tom Scholtz got his thing going too :lol: Also cops that Mick Ronson vibe. Going into Vintage Low: WOW.

To be honest I haven't tried it in a band context yet, but it's an awful lot of fun and I am pretty sure it will serve in a pinch when I just need a little more to put it over the top.

I say check it out.

Latest posts

Back