Clean channel suddenly gone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marzzz

Reaction score
My ED is from early 2010, I turned it on this afternoon and I had no sound at all from the clean (green) channel. Blue and Red are fine, and it doesn't make a difference if the pedal switch is connected or not. May I assume it is one of the preamp tubes that suddenly went?

And do you recommend replacing with Mesa tubes, or is there another brand to consider?

It may not be the cause but it is very likely. The fact that the clean mode uses different preamp tubes points heavily to this being a cause.

I personally like the mesa 12ax7s well enough.

I had the same exact problem. Bad preamp tube in a 2-hour-old set. Tubes are nothing more than cheaply made lightbulbs. Always keep spares and a tube diagram for your amp handy.

I use Tung-Sol in V1, V2, and V3. For V4 and V5, I use JAN-GE 5751. V6 and V7 both get Sovtek LPS. Those have been going strong for over 18 months. YMMV.

So I switched the V1/V2 tubes (Hi/Lo) with the V4/V5 tubes (Clean) and all three channels work fine. Go figure! I guess a tube had worked itself loose, but the Dyne is in my studio and never gets moved. I generally play the clean channel 80% of the time, but while it was out I was using blue more frequently. As always, the amp just sounds great!

I'll order some replacements anyway, eventually I will need them.

marzzz said:
So I switched the V1/V2 tubes (Hi/Lo) with the V4/V5 tubes (Clean) and all three channels work fine. Go figure! I guess a tube had worked itself loose, but the Dyne is in my studio and never gets moved. I generally play the clean channel 80% of the time, but while it was out I was using blue more frequently. As always, the amp just sounds great!

I'll order some replacements anyway, eventually I will need them.

Consider their SPAX7-A tubes. Around $4.00 more each, but I find they are a little quieter typically. They seem to reduce the buzz slightly when in the gain modes.

Back