The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:43 am 
Mark III

I have been chasing my tone for as long as I've been playing guitar. I pondered for months between a Lone Star and the ED before finally settling on the ED. After I finally purchased my head, made some tube decisions, and coupled the head with a WGS British Lead speaker, I finally found the tone I heard in my head for as long as I can remember. Even though it's a fairly heavy amp, it's still my first "go-to" rig for any gig. The cleans are pristine, and the 2 vintage overdrive modes are perfection. I hope I will be able to acquire another as a backup in case mine dies. Even after getting a RK1, I always go back to the ED. It simply gives me exactly what I want to hear.

EVM, Eminence, and WGS speakers

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:44 pm 
Mark I

I have nothing but the highest praises to sing for the Electra-Dyne. It is a terrible shame that this amp was discontinued.

I play in a pop punk band, and this amp provides me the absolute perfect tone. It's extremely clear and can actually get surprisingly heavy.

The shared EQ doesn't even bother me - they somehow made it so that a good setting for high gain also works for the clean mode. I love it. The only other amp that I would ever consider getting is the Orange Rockerverb, and only in the event that my Electra-Dyne died and I wasn't able to get my hands on another.

I use it with a 2x12 Recto cab with Vintage 30's. I have never heard a more perfect tone in my life. Paired with my Les Paul, the tone makes me smile every time.

2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom (black)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:13 am 
Dual Recto

slysendice wrote:
I have nothing but the highest praises to sing for the Electra-Dyne. It is a terrible shame that this amp was discontinued.

I play in a pop punk band, and this amp provides me the absolute perfect tone. It's extremely clear and can actually get surprisingly heavy.

The shared EQ doesn't even bother me - they somehow made it so that a good setting for high gain also works for the clean mode. I love it. The only other amp that I would ever consider getting is the Orange Rockerverb, and only in the event that my Electra-Dyne died and I wasn't able to get my hands on another.

I use it with a 2x12 Recto cab with Vintage 30's. I have never heard a more perfect tone in my life. Paired with my Les Paul, the tone makes me smile every time.

Ya, it's a killer, smooth crunch. With a Les Paul, this amp has mojo like crazy. In addition to pop punk, it also does classic rock, blues, funk, country, etc, like a boss.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:40 pm 
Mark III

I have compared my Electra Dyne to my Deluxe Reverb in the past, but today I ran them both through the same cab. Based on results from previous comparisons, I thought the Fender had the slightly better clean tones and sounded a bit better with dirt pedals. But after today I realize that the clean channel of the Electra Dyne is identical to a blackface Fender amp. The difference was so slight, it was almost imperceptible. The difference between the amps is almost entirely speaker/cab.
Just thought I'd share my observations.

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:57 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I've been eying this Electra Dyne at my local guitar store for about 2 years. It has a small tear in the grill cloth so they took a couple of hundred bucks off it. Every time i visit it just sits in the corner and collects more dust. I went in last Friday and they had reduced it considerably since they are discontinued. I made them an offer and they took it, So now I'm the proud owner of a brand new Electra Dyne. I have owned 3 other boogies in the past. A Mark V, Express 5:50 2x12 and an Express 5:50 Plus. I got rid of them all for for other amps but I'm thinking the Electra Dyne is here to stay. I've only had it for 2 days but i'm liking what i'm hearing out of his amp. I have been comparing it side by side with my current amp and the Electra Dyne is able to get very close to its sound. I like having an FX loop again and the reverb is just excellent on this amp. I can get a broader range of tone through this amp than my current setup. I've always wanted the Fender clean and the Marshall growl in one amp and i think the Electra Dyne encompasses those qualities perfectly.
Very cool amp so far but I'm still in the honeymoon stage so i will update this post in a few weeks and share more thoughts on this amp.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 pm 
Donating Member

Cool! It's a great amp if you can stand running it loud. I've never owned a better-sounding or -feeling amp.

Recto 2x12 Horizontal
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:22 am 
Mark III

I use my Electra Dyne 1x12 combo for everything: bedroom practice, rehearsals, recording, and of course live gigs. Like any high-powered tube amp, it sounds better crankin', but I think it sounds great at bedroom volume too. It won't do mouse fart volume very well (the master volume gets pretty touchy), but if you need that get a solid state amp with a headphone out.
This amp is one of the best channel switching amps ever. I am completely happy with my amp tone. Marshall crunch tones(but better, smoother, less raunchy), raging high gain with Vintage Hi and a Tubescreamer, high-powered Fender cleans that sound great and take dirt pedals like a boss.
Best do-it-all amp out there.
And I like it too :)

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:40 pm 
Mark IV

elvis wrote:
Cool! It's a great amp if you can stand running it loud. I've never owned a better-sounding or -feeling amp.

Yes it kills at loud volumes but you can use it lower if you use a good OD pedal like a BB Preamp with the pedals level maxed out and the gain on the pedal set low. You won't get this much bottom end from many amps without the mush. If I was going to an ampfest and wanted something to stand up to the Cameron's, Diezel's and Friedman's of the world leave the Mark V and RA home. Bring an ED with an OD pedal.

http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:47 pm 
Mark III

I usually take a smaller amp to band practice simply for the convenience of carrying less weight. A few weeks ago, I decide to take my Dyne to practice instead. Once again, the amp reminded me why I purchased it in the first place. I would dearly love to see this amp come back to the Mesa line in a lunchbox format. As I age, lighter weight amps are becoming much more favorable to my back. But, still...the sheer perfection of the Dyne's tone is worth it.

EVM, Eminence, and WGS speakers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:04 pm 
Mark II

Big fan myself. I've owned the widebody 1x12" combo for around 6 years and love it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:26 pm 
Mark IV

I just acquired a medium head and 27" 1x12 Royal Atlantic cab. I'm a long time Lone Star aficionado, and I'll always keep those (both LSC and LSS)... and I have a Mini Rec and a TA15, which are lots of fun too, and I'm keeping 'em... but I've wanted an Electra Dyne since they first came out, and finally treated myself to it a couple of weeks ago.

I'm really eager to get this amp into the wild, because after some at-home blasting, I am pretty sure I could theoretically get rid of ALL my other amps and be happy. That includes my JCM800 and my vintage 1965 Deluxe Reverb. This thing is better than sex.

Running with Mesa EL34s right now, and a cocktail of Tungsol/Ruby preamp tubes, and I am probably going to leave the C90 in the cab because everything just sounds so goddamned good.

I just kicked the dirt pedals off my board, and am going with just an EP Booster. It seems to give me just the right push for each channel. All this could change after I get this into rehearsal, but at the moment I think between the amp, the EP, and my volume knobs, I can get everything I need.

I think I'll be spending 90% of my time with Vintage Lo. I LOVE this voicing. I noted in another thread that it's so dynamic that I can play the funky rhythm part to Love Rollercoaster, Tele middle position, on Vintage Lo with the gain up at about 2:00, and it still sounds clear enough to get every bit of attack and harmonic content that a crisp clean tone would get. It's an amazing thing. I feel like I could do anything with this channel.

Very, very happy with this amp.

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15
Lone Star 27, 23 & 19, RA 27 1x12, WBCB 1x12 Cabs

http://www.damonwood.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:10 pm 
Mark III

djw, I was happier with 6L6's. I know several people on this board prefer the EL34's, but for me it's 6L6's all the way. It might be worth a try. It softens the midrange just a tad and gives Vintage Lo and Hi this really awesome "sting" to the high end. Also, although I've never been much of a preamp tube roller, I have noticed that they do make a noticeable difference as well. Whatever tubes you use, enjoy one of the best amps ever!!

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:42 pm 
Mark IV

Hollis wrote:
djw, I was happier with 6L6's. I know several people on this board prefer the EL34's, but for me it's 6L6's all the way. It might be worth a try. It softens the midrange just a tad and gives Vintage Lo and Hi this really awesome "sting" to the high end. Also, although I've never been much of a preamp tube roller, I have noticed that they do make a noticeable difference as well. Whatever tubes you use, enjoy one of the best amps ever!!

Thanks Hollis! I have now switched from 6L6s to EL34s and back a few times. I am currently running Ruby 6L6s, and it's true, there's a certain something about the oomph and thwack you get with the 6L6 thing... knowing me, I will likely continue to go back and forth. I want to try a set of Tungsol EL34s too, as I have had great luck with those in other amps.

Fun to try it all. One other update from my corner is that I tried the Fulltone 2B Boost and I am going to stick with it for a while. It's a very mean sounding clean boost, with maybe just a hair more crackle on the high end than the EP Booster. Having that buffer in the chain is really sweet too.

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15
Lone Star 27, 23 & 19, RA 27 1x12, WBCB 1x12 Cabs

http://www.damonwood.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:11 am 
Mark III

Something else to try:
Vintage Hi + TS-9 Tubescreamer = Firebreathing, super aggressive awesomeness!

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:01 pm 
Mark III

+1 on the above comment. I have a Keeley modded TS-9 and my Dyne turns into a monster! Not that the amp isn't already, but it puts in it metal territory. But I'll also say this, that TS-9 has ALWAYS sounded good with any of my Mesa's. Not sure what it is about it, but man it works beautifully with them.

Mesa TC50 Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II Head
Mesa Subway Rocket 1x10 Combo
4x12 Recto Slant Cab
2x12 Recto Compact Cab