The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:25 pm 
Mark IV

So maybe this belongs in the "boost" thread, but I wanted to ask, generally speaking:

Aside from booster/driver functions for more gain/tighter gain/etc., what are folks using for solos?

Does anyone use Vintage 1 for "rhythm" and Vintage 2 for "lead" and forego a boost pedal altogether?

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15
Lone Star 27, 23 & 19, RA 27 1x12, WBCB 1x12 Cabs

http://www.damonwood.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:31 pm 
Mark III

I may be the oddball, but I rarely use the red mode at all. I use an Xotic BB with the gain at 9:00, volume and treble at noon, and the bass at 2:00. I find the bulk of the tone from the BB to be flat, but it does cut off just a touch of the bottom end. In the clean mode, I get a great blues crunch when I stomp on the pedal. In the blue mode, it takes me from a decent crunch (like early AC/DC) to full 80s hair tone. But, for a boost on leads, I use an Xotic EP Booster. That adds just enough boost to help my leads stand out. I find the red mode to be more compressed than I care for.

EVM, Eminence, and WGS speakers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:08 pm 
Mark III

It would really depend on your application. I think in a blues, classic or southern rock application the method of using V1 for rhythm and V2 for leads work pretty good, especially in the 45 watt mode cranked up. In a modern rock or metal situation is where this may fall through for you. It's all about gain and how much you need. While the Dyne has plenty of gain, it's not enough for some players/applications. As far as a solo boost is concerned, an Eq pedal with a volume notch placed in the loop is a great way to "boost" volume for solos. If you're looking for adding any color, gain or compression/sustain as your boost, well there's a plethora of suggestions on this very informative site. I do really like the idea of having a clear clean/rhythm/lead set up with the Dyne, but it'd only work in certain situations for me.

Mesa TC50 Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II Head
Mesa Subway Rocket 1x10 Combo
4x12 Recto Slant Cab
2x12 Recto Compact Cab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 pm 
Mark IV

Daxman73 wrote:
It would really depend on your application. I think in a blues, classic or southern rock application the method of using V1 for rhythm and V2 for leads work pretty good, especially in the 45 watt mode cranked up. In a modern rock or metal situation is where this may fall through for you. It's all about gain and how much you need. While the Dyne has plenty of gain, it's not enough for some players/applications. As far as a solo boost is concerned, an Eq pedal with a volume notch placed in the loop is a great way to "boost" volume for solos. If you're looking for adding any color, gain or compression/sustain as your boost, well there's a plethora of suggestions on this very informative site. I do really like the idea of having a clear clean/rhythm/lead set up with the Dyne, but it'd only work in certain situations for me.

Thanks, yeah, that's been my guess and my experience. I guess if I really, really want a "solo boost" I have to involve the loop, which I hate doing but maybe it's a necessary evil. Maybe I can avoid all the extra cable run by employing a remote-activated loop box or something. That doesn't really pass the KISS test, but it's a thought...

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:53 am 
Bottle Rocket

I've had my Electra Dyne since August and have sort of fallen out of love with it. Must be my speaker cabinet (4x12 with WGS speakers) but I was only able to dial in a tone I liked with the clean channel. Overdrive channels sounded way too brutal yet with no saturation. That clean channel is still a dream though.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:00 pm 
Mark IV

CycoVision13 wrote:
I've had my Electra Dyne since August and have sort of fallen out of love with it. Must be my speaker cabinet (4x12 with WGS speakers) but I was only able to dial in a tone I liked with the clean channel. Overdrive channels sounded way too brutal yet with no saturation. That clean channel is still a dream though.

Sounds more like a tube swap might be in order...

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:10 pm 
Bottle Rocket

djw wrote:
CycoVision13 wrote:

Sounds more like a tube swap might be in order...

Yeah I figured so. It came with El34's when I bought it but Mesa put original 6l6's back in. Didn't make much difference actually, so it's most likely a preamp tube swap.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:32 am 
Donating Member

The ED's not really all that saturated relative to a high gain head like a Mark or Recto. The red channel tops out somewhere around JCM800 levels... And like a JCM800 it takes boosts really well, and kind of needs it if you want to take it into more modern high gain territory.

|| PRS McCarty | Triple Crown 50 | Recto 2x12 ||

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:03 pm 
Dual Recto

djw wrote:
So maybe this belongs in the "boost" thread, but I wanted to ask, generally speaking:

Aside from booster/driver functions for more gain/tighter gain/etc., what are folks using for solos?

Does anyone use Vintage 1 for "rhythm" and Vintage 2 for "lead" and forego a boost pedal altogether?

I like the 'feel' of the Electra Dyne so I do use Vintage Hi for leads and Vintage Lo for rhythm, depending on what I am doing. But I also have a boost pedal which I will use, depending on what my needs are. I should mention that all three of my guitars have contemporary output humbuckers in the bridge so the front end of my Electra Dyne is getting slammed pretty good just from the guitar.

CycoVision13 wrote:

What do you mean by 'brutal'? I like WGS speakers but you have to match the right amp with the right cab. A Traditional 4 x 12 Rectocab should match much better with the Electra Dyne. That being said, don't expect Recto or Mark V levels of gain saturation with this amp.

What guitar(s) are you using??