Mullards?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
I've been very happy with my Tung-Sol EL34s in my Dyne for the past year. However, the "what if" question keeps running through my head. Has anyone tried Mullard EL34s in their Dyne? Never used any Mullards at all myself.

Search feature is your friend....my friend 8)

http://forum.grailtone.com/search.php?keywords=mullard&terms=all&author=&fid[]=36&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

original Mullard el34's from Great Brittan sound great no matter what amp...Sovtek Mullards...meh

I still have the stock Mesa tubes in my Electra Dyne, and I've been wondering some new ones would make a noticeable difference. In my Deluxe Reverb Reissue, a tube change didn't have much of an effect. Does changing tubes really make that much of a difference in tone or feel? Maybe in a super clean amp like a DRRi it doesn't matter as much, but it does when high(er) levels of gain originate from the amp and its tubes.

Hollis said:
I still have the stock Mesa tubes in my Electra Dyne, and I've been wondering some new ones would make a noticeable difference. In my Deluxe Reverb Reissue, a tube change didn't have much of an effect. Does changing tubes really make that much of a difference in tone or feel? Maybe in a super clean amp like a DRRi it doesn't matter as much, but it does when high(er) levels of gain originate from the amp and its tubes.

I bought my Dyne used and it came with Sovtek 5881WXT tubes in the power section. Since I had no idea how old the tubes were, I went ahead and bought the Tung Sol EL34s. I absolutely adore the tone from the amp with those tubes. I have to admit I am more of an EL34 guy vs 6L6. However, I have heard throughout this forum that Winged C 6L6s are one of the best sounding tubes in almost any amp. They're quite pricey, though. Tone is all subjective; we all like what we like.

The Dyne really gets a lot of push from the power tubes due to the low preamp saturation, so they do have a noticeable effect on tone.

For preamp tubes, I find they are pretty subtle and have been generally happy with the Mesa tubes.

However, I do run Tung-Sol in V1 for my rectos.

I finally broke down and bought a set of Mullards. I honestly can't say I am overly impressed. The Tung-Sols had the tone I fell in love with. However, I am still contemplating a quad of Gold Lion KT77s.

Regardless of amp, the right switch of preamp tubes - in the right position - can make a huge difference. NOS Mullard and NOS RFT 12ax7s, IMO, have the darkest tone I've found. Compared to Tung Sol, Mesa SPAX7 (regardless of what mfg), RCA and other popular brands out there today, there is a marked tonal difference from the Mullards And RFTs. Drop that into V1 and take a listen.

The RFT is a high gain tube, so that's where it differs from the Mullard.

The key ingredient to the classic Marshall tone has been those Mullard preamp tubes. So if you chase that flavor, spend the money on a couple NOS tubes (look for the ones with poor stamping for cheaper prices but buy from reliable sources) and give it a try. I had tons of fun experimenting. Highly recommended.

I love my pre amp Tung Sol's. Not a huge difference but noticeable.

I might have to do Power Tubes soon. I need a change.

However, I am still contemplating a quad of Gold Lion KT77s.

Sorry to haul this back from the past but as I am prowling Boogie Board for some tube ideas for my 'Dyne I saw this and have to ask, can the Electra Dyne take a KT 77?

Still haven't gotten around to try them, but it seems like the Dyne could handle the KT77s. They're supposed to be a drop-in replacement for EL34 or 6CA7.

Latest posts

Back