[audio!] Electra Dyne w/ EL34s, High Gain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've never really been thrilled with vintage high on my Electra Dyne, although I love the cleans and vintage low.

After watching a few other clips, including this video by yitboy11 (is he a member here?), I decided that I wasn't really getting everything out of my amp that I could.

Today I pulled the 6L6 tubes that came with it and dropped in a spare pair of Mullard EL34s along with the two Mesa El34s that were in my Mark III. Um. Wow. That's significantly better.

I don't know if the 6L6s just needed to be replaced or if the EL34s are better suited to my tastes, but this seemed to make a big difference to me. For what it's worth, I though that the clean also still sounded quite good. Based on what I've heard from other posters about using EL34s I was expecting it to be highly cringeworthy.

I've included a clip here of the vintage high sound if anyone is interested: https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/electra-dyne-with-el34-high

Thanks for posting the link, but the link doesn't work. At least for me it doesn't.

Hollis said:
Thanks for posting the link, but the link doesn't work. At least for me it doesn't.

Sorry, I re-bounced the clip and the url got switched for a few moments when I uploaded the new track. It is working again if you want to hear it: https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/electra-dyne-with-el34-high

Yeah man! That sounded great! Was that Vintage Hi? Any pedals, boost? I've been thinking about trying some EL-34's. Since I'm pretty happy with the tones I'm getting, it hasn't been high on my priority list. But your clip may change my mind! Are you still running the stock C90?

Hollis said:
Yeah man! That sounded great! Was that Vintage Hi? Any pedals, boost? I've been thinking about trying some EL-34's. Since I'm pretty happy with the tones I'm getting, it hasn't been high on my priority list. But your clip may change my mind! Are you still running the stock C90?

This is a 23" combo on Vintage Hi with a stock C90, yes. I was using an OD808 in front of the amp but that's about it.

Like I said, I'm not sure if the problem was "6L6 vs EL34" or "get newer tubes, period," but it definitely seems better.

Funny, I was just thinking about EL34's vs 6L6's. In the Royal Atlantic I think that amp sounds much better with 34's. I'll have to try them in the Ed, I think I tried before but I don't remember.

Latest posts

Back