EDs and EL34s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
Prompted by another forum member, I put EL34s into my ED. The result is a tone much more like a Marshall: more mid-range, less booming bass, less fizz, and sleazier and meaner. This is the way channels two and three were meant to sound, I think. All in all, the EL34s are a major improvement on the sound of channels two and three.

However you sacrifice your clean tone, which sounds flat and lifeless, just like a Marshall clean tone always does. Gone is the round, thick, sustaining Fenderish clean tone, that was the best thing about the amp when it had 6L6s. This is not such a problem for me: in my group we play rock and I seldom us the clean channel.

So is the answer to have both types of tube in the amp, with 6L6s assigned to channel one and EL34s assigned to channels two and three? Mesa already have this technology, which they put on the Road King. If you want true Fender and Marshall tones in one amp, don't see any way around this two tube type configuration.

What do you think?
I think it would be a big seller, if presented and marketed right. After all, how many of us bought the Dyne on the promise that it would deliver Fender cleans and Marshall dirty tones?

I think these sorts of differences are very subtle live, especially in a venue with less than stellar sound. When it really matters is during recording and whatever settings / tube combinations can be had in these situations.

Oh, if you can find a second Electra Dyne you'll be good to go! :evil:

The EL34s are just some matched JJs that cost me less than $100 from the Tubestore.

The difference is very noticeable - channel one sounds pretty bad all of a sudden, and channels two and three sound much more toneful.

Yes, in the room with your amp and nobody else, these sorts of details are jaw droppingly obvious. It's easy to begin to absolutely obsess over these details and it's interesting how quickly they disappear when the guitar is sandwiched in between drums, bass, vocals, and another guitar / keyboard.

Like I said, if I was going a professional recording I would definitely worry about my tube, guitar, pickup, cab, and speaker choice!!

This wasn't a bedroom experiment. I changed the tubes to EL34s then immediately went to band practice. You could immediately hear the difference. The guys told me not to use my clean channel because it sounded so flat. I ended up using the blue channel and turning the guitar volume down. Also, I didn't run my pedal booster for a change, because the blue and red channels sounded so dirty and sleazy that I didn't have to.

When I had my ED, the guy I bought it from had EL34s installed. I really liked it, but when I put 6L6s in there, man, I LOVED it. Obviously, our tastes all vary, but I definitely preferred the 6L6s.

I've been rolling with TS EL34s for almost a year in my Dyne. I think my clean channel still sounds pristine. But then, I am also using 5751s in V4 and V5. I agree, though....EL34s truly make blue and red shine like nothing else. If you want the best of both worlds, try EH 6CA7s in your power section. EL34 bias, but more like EL34s on steroids...a blend of 6L6 and EL34. I use those in my Carvin Vai Legacy and it really makes a difference.

How do you guys mean "Bad" when it comes to the clean?

Also, am I cool just using some JJ EL34s I have laying around? I don't need to use Mesa tubes, right?

My experience with EL43s was that the clean looses some of its sparkle and clarity. The gain channels did pick up some grit and extra mid range which I like, but not enough to give up the clean for it. The 6L6s went back in.

I just borrowed the tubes from my RA for the experiment. Maybe other variety of EL43s would work better. Interestingly the clean on the RA is great with the stock EL34s.

I tried 34's, went back to 6L6's. I pretty much have a BB Preamp on all the time so a tube swap won't matter that much really.

Hope nobody mixes tubes in their ED after that post.... would not be funny!
Mesa already has a few amps which allow that but the ED is not one of them.

Latest posts

Back