Mods to EDs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to mod my ED so that mode 3 sounds like EVH's brown tone. I want the amp to have a huge Marshall sound, like a plexi with the brown eye mod. Has anyone got any experience with this?

Looking at the schematic, the preamp of the third mode of the ED is very much a JCM 800.

Am trying to work out why the sound of the ED is dark and muddy, and not clangy like a Marshall.

Maybe your speakers or settings? I find the Dyne to be excessively bright with a good, full bottom end. I play it through a recto 2x12 horizontal cab with V30s and originally ran it into a 4x10. I also have put in a few hours on the combos in my local guitar store.

I get a bit less saturation than I would expect from a JCM800, but you also have to really turn the Dyne up to hit the power section.

Maybe you are playing it at low volume? It loses pretty much all it's character and definition if you don't open it up.

elvis said:
Maybe your speakers or settings? I find the Dyne to be excessively bright with a good, full bottom end. I play it through a recto 2x12 horizontal cab with V30s and originally ran it into a 4x10. I also have put in a few hours on the combos in my local guitar store.

I get a bit less saturation than I would expect from a JCM800, but you also have to really turn the Dyne up to hit the power section.

Maybe you are playing it at low volume? It loses pretty much all it's character and definition if you don't open it up.

I would agree...I've never heard the ED referred to as dark and muddy!

Authorized Boogie said:
elvis said:

I would agree...I've never heard the ED referred to as dark and muddy!

+1

The mud control on an ED is the mid knob. If it's dark and muddy then turn the mids up.

The amp really starts to hit its stride once the master gets above 9:00.

Mid control is mud controll? Or just mispelled? Dyne never sounds muddy i use with mids at 11. It gives a bit of compressed feel but never muddy. First check your guitar. Humbuckers could sound muddier than singles especially in neck position. I would turn the mid down yeah down a bit and play around with presence and treble.
You also might have a bad tube.
Or use a proper booster. A treble booster for humbs. I would recommend the top boost in a can from menatone.
But let me tell you again - as i also tried 50usd broomhandle with it - the dyne sounds like heaven. Never muddy.

The reason why the ED has so much bass on the blue and red overdrive modes is because of circuits in the power amp. These circuits made the clean channel sound great on regular EQ. When I change to the overdrive modes, the sound is EQ'd way too bassy. According to an amp tech, you could modify out the bassiness in the overdrive modes but you would sacrifice a lot of the clean quality. Since the clean on the ED is its star quality, the last thing you want to do is modify away the clean tone. But he says that all is not lost because apparently there is a lot of circuitry in the red mode that could be cleaned out to improve the tone and some treble and mid could be added. This would mean that you could EQ the clean channel normally, and the dirty channels might no longer sound too bassy. I think I will get him to do the work and let you know how it sounds.

I've posted this before. Jason Lollar mini humbuckers are THE best accompaniment to the ED....IMO.
Yes, they can go dark, but man, in blue mode, it gets great jangle to clear concise grind. Cleans to die
for. No pedals.

Back