Question about clean trim

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomGecko

Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys set it if you're using single coils? My main guitar is a HSS Strat (Duncan 59 bridge, DiMarzio Area 67/58 middle/neck)

I've had it set to normal and been dialling back the volume on the clean channel (volume on the front panel set to around 2:30). I could get a good balance this way. I've noticed however the cleans get a little chimier and brighter if I set the clean trim to 'Clean' but even with the volume cranked on the back panel so I guess it's bypassed/wide open, I need to run the front volume around 3:30/4 to achieve a balance between clean and Vintage Lo/Hi when using single coils. My bridge humbucker is obviously way louder.

This is not really a problem - it means that my gain tones are maybe a little more saturated in some scenarios than I'd prefer but I can always roll my guitar volume back to clean them up. It's either that way or my cleans are a little darker. Again not a huge issue.

Just wondering if anybody experienced similar?

Yuck. Yes, this is one of the frustrations with the shared controls on the amp. So you're basically turning the volume (gain) down for the clean mode when you turn the gain trim to 'clean' which is why you get a skinnier and brighter tone.
Of course, people probably won't notice live and you can always dial in each tone you want individually for recording, but it is frustrating when you can't get everything right where you want it.

I've had pretty good luck with using a 5751 in V4. It really balanced out my volumes between the modes and makes the cleans even "cleaner." I still use the gain trim switch set to Clean and no matter which guitar I use, they all balance well. All my humbuckers are tappable, and my volume stays pretty consistent no matter if I am in full humbucker mode, tapped or P90 mode.

Actually got the idea from another thread here. I was surprised to find I had a JAN GE 5751 in my stockpile of tubes. Considering putting one in V5 also but currently have an EH 12AX7 in that slot. All I can say is that it suits my needs perfectly at the moment, so I am not in any hurry to try it just yet. Definitely give it a shot, though. It's just one tube!

Back