Marshall tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
Guys,

As you will know, the ED's sound is very bassy and dark. I want to get a Marshall sound, that crunchy, singing overdrive. The sound Slash gets. OK, maybe I should buy a Marshall. Maybe I will. But right now, I have the ED. My ED sounds muddy in comparison. Have any of you figured out how to get the ED to do a great Marshall tone?

The ED will do a pretty good job of Slash's singing lead tone, but I wasn't able to get a rhythm crunch that I thought was great.

Try treble at 2:00, presence at 1:00, middle around 12:00 Bass at 8:30 and volume (gain) around 1:00. The speaker cab is a very important. I have found a closed back V30 cab to work best for these tones. My open back C90 cab is way to flubby and does not have the mid range punch.

I'm not really a fan of using overdrives with the ED, most of them just seem to detract from the amp. The OCD can help to tighten and brighten the ED with the gain set low, like 10:00.

If the amp is too bassy, then turn down the bass.

As for Slash's crunch tone... Are you using a 4x12 loaded with Marshall Vintage speakers?

Thirded Mesa Traditional Rectocab / Marshall 4 x 12 with V30s. The Marshall 4 x 12 will be even brighter.

The c90 that comes in the combos and the 1 x 12 extension cab tends to be darker with more bass. It has a really meaty and creamy tone that is fantastic for lead playing and clean playing which is why I like it. I also find that when close micing the cab with an SM57 I get a lot more of a brighter / crunchier tone despite the bass heavy cab.

Back