Dead Electra Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurso

Reaction score
So I have been travelling quite a bit for work over the past few months and unfortunately haven't been able to fire up the ED at all. So I go to finally play before and I get nothing when I flip the power switch to either 90 or 45 watt modes. So i immediately think its the fuse, pull it and while nothing looked blown I went to Radioshack and bought a new set. Come home, plug the new fuse in and same results... nothing.

At this point I start looking all over this site and try pulling all the power tubes and replacing all of them with tubes I know are in working order. Again... same results, nothing is turning on. So before I bring this to my tech on Monday is there anything else I might be missing? I've never had it where the amp just wont turn on. I have also tried it in several outlets throughout my house with several power cables. I can't think of anything else it may be other than the PT but I'll leave everything other than fuses, tubes or replacing power cables to my tech.

What I don't understand is how this happened... last I played the amp I had zero issues. Its probably been about 2 months since I could fire her up... not sure what could have gone wrong but as of right now I have a beautiful looking box with a speaker in it. Any suggestions on what I could check on or other information would be greatly appreciated.

This is so balls absolutely lame! So you just left the amp at home to go do business and when you came back, it wouldn't do anything? First order of business: Call Mesa. Is it still under warranty!?

Yeah basically last I got to play it was about two months ago and there were no issues. Went to use it yesterday and nothing happens when i flip the power switch. I'll give Mesa a call but I don't think its under warranty as I bought it used and it may be outside the warranty period. Plus at the end of the day unless I'm missing something this is going to require looking under the hood.

I'm going to assume you fully powered up, took it off standby, strummed the strings and didn't hear a sound?

I only say that because it could be a burned out lightbulb.

Not to treat you like an idiot, but I'm racking my brain and that's the only other possibility I can think of. You seem to have covered all the other angles.

screamingdaisy said:
I'm going to assume you fully powered up, took it off standby, strummed the strings and didn't hear a sound?

I only say that because it could be a burned out lightbulb.

Not to treat you like an idiot, but I'm racking my brain and that's the only other possibility I can think of. You seem to have covered all the other angles.

Well not is it only no light jewel glowing but no tubes or anything that you typically see when you turn on your amp light up. Its as if you were turning on the amp when it wasn't plugged in. I think I'm just going to go see my tech on Monday and not try and drive myself nuts trying to figure out is wrong.

when you checked the fuse, was it a short circuit? A fuse may look good but it could be open.

Try this: Remove all tubes (mark which one is the PI tube in case it is matched triode) and keep the power tubes sorted in the same order you removed them so you can put them back.

Replace the fuse with a known good one.
Se the stand-by switch in stand by, turn on the power switch if nothing happens, there could be an issue on the power supply circuit.

Also, have you tried a different power cord. You mentioned different extension cords (is this the same thing?)
You could always try the mesa power cord with something else like your PC and see if that will operate.

With the tubes out, different power cord, new fuse, and no light would boil it down to power supply circuit, power switch, wiring on fuse circuit, power inlet receptacle or power transformer.

I've been caught by the power lead coming loose at the amp. That's the first thing I'd check.

I have not seen the inside of an Electra Dyne, funny , I called it an Electro Dyne. silly me.

If you do open it up, check wire coming in and going to the power switch. It is possible you popped the MOV on the power supply board when powering down the amp. Unfortunately if this is the case, you need to have it replaced. Could also be a poor solder joint.

Good luck with diagnosis.

J.J said:
I've been caught by the power lead coming loose at the amp. That's the first thing I'd check.

Had that very thing happen on my Electra-Dyne. All it took was a gentle push at the power cord where it connects to the chassis of the amp. :roll:

Just got her back... Ended up being a loose wire between the ac socket and the fuse. Quick and cheap fix... I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Back