Cleans and power section

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anomaly

Reaction score
Novice question here.. Does the presence knob part of the power section? for using an external preamp perhaps?
And are the Cleans are based on the Lonestar preamp? Thanks!!

The cleans are probably similar to LS, but I think not exactly the same. To my ear they sound and feel a lot like my 1965 Deluxe Reverb, but with more low end and headroom. The dynamics are really what sets this amp apart. It has incredible transient response, and can feel like it's punching you in the face like an old Hiwatt amp.

The presence knob controls the feedback in the power stage. It has nothing to do with an external preamp. It is not a volume knob, but more a control of the dynamics. More feedback means the speaker follows the input signal more closely and has a "tighter" feel. Less feedback means the character of the output stage is more audible, and there is a "looser" feel.

Just to add to what's already been said, the presence control is like a tone control for the power stage. The reduction of feedback is not equal from low to high and is reduced much more in the upper range. This means that as the presence is increased the tone will tend to become brighter and can add grit if you want it to.

Back