Electra Dyne / Green Backs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytone

Reaction score
Anybody running Greenbacks with these amp. I can't help but think it will be more Marshally and knock off some volume. Opinions?

There's a guy on YouTube, yitboy11, that runs his ED into a 4x12 Marshall cab with 2 Greenbacks a 2 H30's in an X pattern. His sounds humongous!

i have an old selmer amp with 30W greenbacks.
http://gitarshop.hu/hu/hirdetes/184620/elado-selmer-gitarkombo
I tried it with the ED and i really liked what i got. it didn't have so much bottom though due to the cab. it was more of a raw sound with more highs. those old greens kicks ***. but no exp with new ones.

Well I was actually thinking about Creambacks. They're rated a 65 watts a piece and 97db at 1 watt which would knock a lota volume off and let you get in the tubes quicker. A little 212 would handle everything just fine, but I don't know if the E.D is finicky with speakers. Don't even have the amp yet but its in the works.
I called mesa today and they couldn't tell me the efficiency rating of the C-90 . I bet its 101-102 db @1 watt. Any of you guys know?

I'm pretty sure the mc-90 is a 100db / watt / metre speaker. Celestions in general tend to be loud so it is no surprise how much volume this one can make.

I'd say the Electra Dyne is more finicky when it comes to cabs than when it comes to speakers.
The Recto 2 x 12 is a good box as are the Royal Atlantic 1 x 12 and 2 x 12. 4 x 12s also tend to work well but they are LOUD! The trouble with greenbacks is the lower power handling which makes use in a 1 x 12 nearly impossible except for home jamming. I think a 4 x 12 loaded with greenbacks would sound awesome although you could only run the amp on 45watt mode with this setup. I also think two v30s blended with 2 greenbacks would sound good although the same problem applies. In general, stay away from all ported or bass reinforced cabs since the low end gets really soupy really fast. Closed back is better but try before you buy!

YellowJacket said:
I'm pretty sure the mc-90 is a 100db / watt / metre speaker. Celestions in general tend to be loud so it is no surprise how much volume this one can make.

I'd say the Electra Dyne is more finicky when it comes to cabs than when it comes to speakers.
The Recto 2 x 12 is a good box as are the Royal Atlantic 1 x 12 and 2 x 12. 4 x 12s also tend to work well but they are LOUD! The trouble with greenbacks is the lower power handling which makes use in a 1 x 12 nearly impossible except for home jamming. I think a 4 x 12 loaded with greenbacks would sound awesome although you could only run the amp on 45watt mode with this setup. I also think two v30s blended with 2 greenbacks would sound good although the same problem applies. In general, stay away from all ported or bass reinforced cabs since the low end gets really soupy really fast. Closed back is better but try before you buy!

Good Info .Thanks

YellowJacket said:

45watt mode for a 4x12 ? I don't think you need to worry about that. I was running a 1x12" with a V30 and playing gigs with it no problems. The ED pumps out about 70 watts before clipping in 90 watt mode and a less than 110 fully cranked (where no one would really ever use it).

I'm now running a 1x12" with a Creamback and love it. It's the best speaker yet with the ED for the music I play. The clean the is great and does stay clean much longer than a 25watt Greenback. I love classic British drive and Fender cleans. The Creamback seems to work very well for both with the ED.

I need to try a Cremback and a V30 in my 2x12 traditional cab, but I thnk I'm going to end up with a pair of cream backs in it.

Well I bought the ED today and Some Beach. Man I'm loving it . Killer Clean, Killer Crunch and Killer lead. Its a 112 but sounds huge for a 112. But I'm not carrying it so I'm putting it in a head cab and going with a 212 probably a c90 and a Creamback. My thoughts are if it sounds this good through a 112 it ought to be amazing, well more so through a 212. At this point I don't know weather to go 1/2 back or closed back. If past amp experience serves me right the open back is better on the cleans and closed back for heavier stuff. Any advice will be appreciated. Oh yea this is the Best Mesa I've ever played and man its got a perfect feel to it, man I'm stunned.

I really wanted the 1x12 combo, but due to weight I went for the head and a cab. I have a Mesa 23" open back cab with a C90 that I used for about a year. I often struggled with muddy bass (Less Paul and SG), but the clean tone is really good. I ended up making a cover for to close the back and that helped a lot.

Next I got a 2x12 traditional V30 cab which has much more punch and crunch, but can still get a little muddy and harsh sometimes.

At the moment I am really liking the 1x12" Creamback as I can push it fairly well without knocking the house down and it will maintain a pretty good clean tone where a standard Greenback would be getting fairly rough.

With regard to the sensitivity difference 97dB vs 100dB for the Creamback and V30, in reality I don't hear much change in volume. Going for a low sensitivity speaker really won't make much difference in how hard you can push the amp, unless you get one rated @90dB. Besides the variable Eminence speakers there just isn't much around.

Those eminence speakers are pretty stinking cool. I'd love to try one!

Personally, I figured out that mic placement is more important than cranking the amp for a good live tone so I usually take this approach for live stuff.

The 65watt Celestion sounds really cool.

If the Eminence Maverick sounds good as a speaker I'd expect it to work pretty well. Haven't tried one myself yet.

I do have an old 15" Fane PA speaker that has a decent tone to it. It's rated at 200 Watts RMS, but its efficiency I'd guess is around 88 to 90dB. Cranking the ED into it results in all the good tone, but without the ear bleeding volume.

The Creamback is a great classic rock and roll speaker in my opinion. I don't play much of the more modern music though so I can't really give a good option there.

I've discovered the importance of mic type and placement too. The CB does seem to mike up very well, but then all those years of listening to 80's rock have biased my sense of good tone towards recorded Greenback boxes :D

I want to get a 212 cab or build one and put 2 Creambacks in it. For THAT tone and to knock off some volume so I can dig a little deeper in the power tubes where the magic starts to happen. I've heard the Dyne is picky about cabinet design. I was thinking about a 212 dumble style cab for its ambience on stage . What is the best sounding 212 in your guys experience???? if this thing is truly picky which I don't see why it would be.. This amp is a BLAST to play and sounds incredible. I've had amps that cost twice a much that did not sound as good.I love it!

Trust me, the Electra Dyne is fussy when it comes to cabs. It has this weird sub-low frequency thing going on that any sort of bass boost cab really amplifies. It also doesn't like my oversized 2 x 12 I built.

I'd suggest getting a RA 2 x 12 cab (Which was designed specifically for the Electra Dyne) or a Mesa 2 x 12 Horizontal Rectocab and loading either of those with the speakers of your choice.

Good info YJ . I like the looks of that TA cabinet. I don't see why I couldn't build it. Dimensions on the website. I'm sure it wouldn't look as good as theirs but it should sound close with a good grade of plywood, which I have. Tough decision because the Mesa cab looks so **** good and great construction. I can build it for about half of what they sell for. Just kinda tight on funds.

I've messed around building cabs and I've had good results. In your case, I'd only recommend a homemade cab as a second for gigging or rehearsals. I strongly suggest getting a mesa cab for your Electra Dyne because they just sound 'right' with the amp. I had 2 homemade 2 x 12s but I ended up selling one of them as well as all my extra speakers and with that money, I ordered a matching RA 1 x 12 for my Tan Bronco Electra Dyne head. It made a HUGE difference and it sounds fantastic. No complaints.
My reasoning is this: You build your own cab and it will sound pretty good, but you will keep gassing for other gear and eventually you will spend more money on a Mesa cab in the end, thereby shelling out even more dollars than you originally intended.

If you're in a pinch, try and scoop up a Mesa 2 x 12 Rectocab. They sound really good and when you have some extra money, you can re-speaker it in time. You can probably get $75 a piece for good condition mesa spec v30s to offset the cost of the creambacks.

My old setup...
sh.jpg

41.JPG

Sounded awesome !

YellowJacket said:
So explain something to me. Why is this your OLD setup???

Moved to a smaller place...less interior real estate :mrgreen:
I traded the head for a 23" combo with a Boogie Board brother who
was looking to trade the other way with his combo.
Lovin' the combo with the MC90 as much as the 4x12 !

fbrd1.jpg

Back