ED "in small"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wekiitoedzo

Reaction score
Well. I use a dyne since 1.5 years now, and it became the AMP for me, so it is at our rehearsal room. So bad, that i don't have 2 of it yet. I would need a small amp now that i can play at home, and costs around 500-800 bucks. I have a selmer zodiac twin 50 which and also a vox ac4tv, i don't really like neither one, both will be sold. I just need a small 10-20 W alltube amp for home practice only, but the similar sound style of the dyne's clean, or a vintage fender blackface.
I'm thinking about a mesa studio 22+, but no other ideas yet.
An other option maybe getting an ed cab and a 6l6 poweramp with a digitech gsp in front? And saving for an ed head... but it would take ages...
What do you think?

Ok. So i bought an ampeg r12r for a half price of my selmer zodiac, and now i got a buyer for my selmer. The ampeg's got a pair of 6l6, and it just came by pretty fast so i taught i would give it a try. Now the next phase is a dyne head with an 1x12 cab. So i would keep my beloved dyne combo at home for practice. Hope it's coming in 2 years. Stay tuned, friends! :D

The Dyne really gets its tone by pushing the power stage. It doesn't have much front-end gain.

I think for practice levels you would want to use the Dyne preamp driving a small tube power amp (maybe 5W class A or class AB) to get that same sort of drive. I'd love to hear the Dyne front-end driving a Deluxe Reverb power section. Too bad I sold my Deluxe...

You'd set that up by running the FX send to the small power amp. Unfortunately it gets complicated by the fact that the reverb runs around the FX loop. Not sure why they did that. You'd have to turn off the reverb.

Alternatively you could put an OD in front to add a bit of breakup to simulate the power tube breakup. Ideally you'd put it in the loop, but the loop is line-level and probably too hot for pedals.

Stevie Ray (among others) was known to use an OD808 in front of his amp when he couldn't run it loud enough to break it up.

I've done this with the Dyne, but it loses a lot of character at low volume just because of the speaker dynamics. I'm using a Rock Crusher with my Dyne and it's decent. but I still have to run fairly loud to get any of the character.

For practice, you may be better off with a decent practice amp. The mini works pretty well, though it has a totally different character.

guess what!
i just got an sp comp, and now i use the ampeg at rehearsals, and play the dyne at home all time with the sp. it helps a lot at low volumes. by the way the blue channel kills at low volume too. i love it. :twisted:

Back