Effects Loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyg88

Reaction score
Is the effects loop in the Electra Dyne buffered?

There's some weird tonal change when I use it and I'm wondering if I need to add a buffer. If so, would it go SEND > Short Cable > Buffer > Long Cable> Pedal board effects?

I have a TC Electronic Nova Mod, Eventide Time Factor, and TC Hall of Fame going into the loop (they're all buffered) so I thought that would take care of it. Maybe not, there's definitely a different attack to the strings when using the loop.

Any info would be great, thanks!

jg

There is nothing in the manual that states the effects loop is buffered. Nor does it state it is not, either. However, it does state that you will have best results using rack effects instead of pedals. I have used a TC G Major, BBE, and (of all things) a Behringer V-Amp Pro. None of these have given me any issues whatsoever. The manual also suggests using the shortest cables possible claiming that cables of more than 3 feet start to roll off top end and reduce upper midrange punch. The cables I use with my rack effects are 3 feet and I haven't noticed any loss of signal quality myself, but YMMV. I run all my standard stomp boxes in front of the amp. The Dyne does very well with any box I have put on the floor in front of the amp. I know it's generally preferable to run modulation effects through the loop, but try them on the front end and see what you get.

The FX Send is buffered internally with an opamp that has 2k Ohms in series with the output. A little high, but necessary to protect the opamp from accidental misconnection by the user.

The FX return is buffered by a 12AX7, but also has a 47k resistor in parallel, so the return is pretty low impedance, and should be buffered externally for best results.

First i used my pedals in front. Now i put all of them even the tuner and wah through the loop and its much better. Its killer. Plugging the guitar straight into the amp is how it should be done. I might try the tuner and wah in front though. Wonder if it makes any difference. My digitech gsp's don't work well with the dyne so far.

Check the settings on your Timefactor as I had one and it messed with my tone. I have a Strymon El Cap and no tone change at all.

The Timefactor may need the input level switched from guitar to line (or vice-versa). It depends on what kind of loop you have, but since it's easy to flip 2 switches to see if that solves the problem, I'd give that a whirl first.

Back