Celestion Creamback and ED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.J

Reaction score
I recently bought a G12M Creamback to try out with my RA-100. It works great with the RA by the way, but it was only a matter of time until it was plugged into the ED.

As a little history, I started with a 1x12" C90 loaded open back cab. I really liked the clean and lead tones with that setup, but the rythym and crunch type tones sounded flubby unless I turned the bass right back to 8:00. Looking for better crunch and a more punchy tone I went to the closed back traditional 2x12 with V30s. This cab has kept me fairly happy now for almost 18 months, but its resonsant bass can still get out of hand at times.

I have been using a 16Ohm Creamback in a ported 1x12. That cab has always sounded muddy with a C90 or V30, the CB has tamed the bass nicely. Crunch, lead and clean tones are all improved over the V30 (which I like a lot).

The tones I am after start with the later '60s British blues scene such as Peter Green and early Clapton, through to the Classic Rock of the 1980s. Fairly vintage type tones I guess.

I'm really happy with the results which are the best yet. I just need to order a second Creamback so I can load the 2x12 cab and get on with playing tunes :D

Great review JJ. I was wondering about CBs with the ED.

We played a mini gig today, 4 songs at a multiband show. I took the ED and Creamback 1x12". I didn't really want to take that speajer as it looks crappy (someone stopped me to ask what it was on the way on :D ) One of the songs we played was ZZtop La Grange to give an idea of what we do.

I haven't taken the ED out since I bought an RA-100, but it was the pick for today. As soon as we set up on stage I was happy with my tone and didn't touch any settings. Master was set a little over 10:00 with the ED in 45Watt mode.

After we were done, I got a particularily nice compliment on my tone and playing from a stranger in the audience. A friend who had only heard me play the RA previously commented that my tone was warm, but sharp at the same time 8) . He was also surprised that the single 12" sitting on the floor was able to fill the room.

Its no great secret, but this really drives home how important speaker choice can be. I've spent far to much time fussing over amps, settings and tubes etc. to find a speaker can make as much difference as anything else.

Back