Finally Tried EL34 in my Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I couldn't take it any more. I finally bought a quad of EL34 (Mesa brand) and stuck them in. They really were everything people say about EL34.

"Creamier"
"More complex mids"
"Earlier Breakup"
"Softer"
"Less great on cleans"

I found they had plenty of low end, but lost a little high end.

And I learned that I just like 6L6. I found the EL34s to be mushy, and the clean mode became another "pushed" mode. I really love the hard, brittle tone from the 6L6. I put them back in and it was night and day for me.

To me, you can approximate EL34 by running 6L6 in 45W mode.

I found it especially interesting, in that I have the same problem with EL34 in the Dyne as I had with the EL84s in the 20/20. But I love my Mini Recto with EL84.

No accounting for personal taste, I guess.

I ran them for awhile too and eventually went back to 6L6s. I like both ways, but 6L6 produce something more along what I'm looking for in an amp.

Yup...... http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=51984

Once again, I seem to be the odd man out. I've been running Tung-Sol EL34s for a few months and it just gets better each time I fire it up. I've just never been a big fan of 6L6, except in an old Fender. My ED will keep the EL34s until they die. To each their own.

Back