Eminence reignmaker with Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topalchohol

Reaction score
So, my biggest complaint about my dyne 27 combo was the touchy volume knob trying to achieve bedroom tones, and how hard it was to get the volume where I wanted it. I run el34 tubes and had a stock mc90 in the combo. I installed an eminence reignmaker fdm speaker in place of the mc90. Mission accomplished. For those of you unfamiliar with it, the speaker has a knob on the magnet that adjusts speaker output sensitivity essentially making it an attenuator that drops volume when turned counter clock wise. This drops a significant amount of volume, up to 8.5 db. I now get that improved feel and less fizz like when you start to get loud but at lower volumes. Tone wise, I am loving this speaker, it is definatly in the greenback camp, and tames some of the boominess that I had with the mc90, and it really brings out the marshalliness in the dyne. I have never been happier with my tone in my life! :D

Hmm.

Never thought about that as an option. I've often read it's somewhere between a V30 and a Greenback with the tone shifting one way or the other as you adjust the attenuation. I like both those speakers but I've always been hesitant to actually try the Reignmaker.

How does it work on the cleans? I'm curios as to how a c90 will sound in mine as I have a scum back h75. I was considering getting a used c90 and maybe an attenuator but this might be a good alternative

I like the cleans with the reignmaker, but ymmv. Speakers can change the sound of an amp as radically as changing to a different amp. I can see how it sort of sounds like a blend of the v30 and greenback type speakers, but leans more greenback, and no nasally mids. Has that nice top end sizzle without being too fizzy. If you want to bring out that woody plexi tone, this speaker is a great choice. I like the reignmaker, followed by mc90 then v30 last of the 3 speakers with the dyne.

Man, it would be fun to get a second 1 x 12 extension cab just to try this out. So, how do you find the reignmaker when set to the lowest efficiency? Does it get boomier, muddier, and darker sounding? I hear as the speaker becomes more efficient it sounds more modern and as it becomes less efficient, it sounds much more vintage.

Personally, I really like the stock mc90 with the Electra Dyne. It really smooths out the tone, enhances the thickness of the gain, and gives the amp a very unique voice.

One thing though, are you using the reverb at low volumes? Shut the reverb off for low volumes as it makes the amp sounds terrible unless you turn up the volume. Just run a reverb pedal in the loop, and a good OD out front and low volumes aren't that much of an issue.

danyeo1 said:
One thing though, are you using the reverb at low volumes? Shut the reverb off for low volumes as it makes the amp sounds terrible unless you turn up the volume. Just run a reverb pedal in the loop, and a good OD out front and low volumes aren't that much of an issue.

Sorry, been busy partsocastering. I do shut the verb off at mousefart volumes, and had to before with loud bedroom volumes, but now can leave it on at loud apartment volumes. As for the change with the dial, I haven,t yet had an opportunity to get it at loud enough volumes to evaluate the tonal difference but at loudish apt. Volumes it does brighten a little when unattenuated, pretty close to what you hear in youtube vids. Not drastic, and the change is likely as much fletcher munson, and tubes at idle related as it is from attenuation.

Latest posts

Back