Tube Talk

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
My Dyne came used with 6L6s. I changed to 6CA7s and then to EL34s. Different brands of tubes even in the same family give different results. I am currently using Tung Sols in the pre and power section. What are you all using? (I would ask "and why" but it's only obvious because that's what you like!)

I went from the stock 6L6s (Ruby Chinese) to Mesa EL34s (Electro-Harmonix) to SED Winged C EL 34s, then back to the stock Mesa 6L6s.

I liked both Mesa tubes. Didn't like the SEDs. I'm sticking with the 6L6s for now because I like the way they overdrive more than the EL34s (better detail, less mushy compression).

After reading so much about it, I was surprised to find I really didn't like the SED 6L6. They made the amp more dead-sounding and I wound up pushing them harder trying to make up for a lack of something.

I've used older and newer Mesa 6L6 and like the new ones. Not sure I can tell the difference between the older ones and newer ones.

In a different amp, I have Svetlana 6L6s and I absolutely love their tone. It's flatter and almost sounds like an EL34. With the ED, I prefer the 34s because it's such a bassy tone to start with. The 34s tighten the bottom end and make it less boomy. But, hey, everyone's tastes are different, and that's a great thing!

I still have the stock 6L6s (and love em) but am debating trying out the EL34s to see how much more chime I can get in the highs-
I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem making up for any lost bass. :eek:

Back