OH NO! The ED is discontinued. Bye-bye …

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarrhinoceros

Reaction score
Just throwing this interesting tidbit I received from Mesa Hollywood -- stating that the ED is discontinued and that their EDs will all be on clearance. Are any on you surprised by this?

No. We knew about this a few weeks ago... But I don't think there is any regular on this forum that didn't see it coming. Both the ED and RA are under-performing and they're both similar enough that they're causing confusion. The RA is the most typically Mesa, complete with all the bells and whistles that make for a good gigging amp... And now they can focus all their marketing attention on it.

Now mine will be worth more! :)

Wait till all the rest of the world learn what a great amp this is..... It will go to the highest bidder. After I buy a second of course!

Get them while you still can people!

I heard from Guitar Center that the ED was discontinued. However, when I contacted Mesa directly, they said it wasn't. I do see a lot of them going out as "clearance," so, what's the deal? Discontinued or not? Glad I got mine when I did!

Got the sweetwater catalog a couple of days ago and the Electra Dyne is there for the upcoming year. I really hope that MB keeps it in stock. I love my Dyne and think it's the best amp in the bunch.

It's still active on the MB site. Other discontinued amps, such as the Stiletto are listed as Out of Production. That should be some kind of sign...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElecDyn212

According to Sweetwater, the ED is out of production and they've dropped their price.
:(

So sad. It's such a great amp - the best I have ever had. Granted, I have only played through a Mark IIC as far as Mesas go, but I am so happy I got my ED when I did. I will never part with it!

I'm new to this site but I've been following all of your posts for the last three years. Great stuff on here.

I got my Electra Dyne on CL for $1200 in 2011. Its the 4th tube amp I've owned and for my purposes COMPLETELY SMASHES every amp I've set it against, including my other guitarist's ENGL Powerball. I personally love its simplicity, bassyness, unparalleled robust clean and fat jcm-800-on-steroids-style-gain-structure.

I'm sad that the ED will be discontinued, although I'm not surprised either... I don't plan on trading it EVER.

But if they were to re-issue it... here are my proposed specs:
50w /25w/2w multi-watt
6L6’s 12ax7s and tube rectifier
footswitchable graphic EQ
Footswitchable solo boost w/ solo knob
Regular footswitchable reverb (instead of the defeat-style switching)
Recording output??? (wishful thinking haha)
Two Speaker outs
Footswitch: Channel, Hi/Lo, Reverb, EQ, Solo boost

Or..... a standard 15/5w bedroom practice "Mini-ED" to compliment its big brother would ROCK too.

I would buy THAT... as long as it didn't get released at the same time as the IIC+ re-issue (and get overshadowed AGAIN) lol :mrgreen:

I often wonder if implementing these wish list type ideas (while great ideas) would kill the mojo of the amp. The more I read the manual the more it seems like the design is unlike anything Mesa has ever done and A LOT more complex. I could be totally off but the whole AB with extended A range in the power amp seems to play a big part in how loud it is and the broad body of the tone itself, as well as how pick sensitive it is. I wonder if implementing some of the ideas like seperate controls or mulit-watt down to 10 or 5 Watts would actually kill the tone and feel we like so much about the amp.

I look at it this way... a lot of what people would want is in many ways what the Royal Atlantic is. The two amps sound similar enough to almost believe the RA is the EDII. But where most of us would disagree with that statement is in the feel (or at least to me the RA doesn't have the same pick sensitivity) and the body of the tone (i felt the RA sound thinner than the ED) enough to make them two totally different amps.

Anyway I digress.... but if I had a wish list it would be some sort of power scaling or attentuation, a recording out (I think Mesa could come up with something better than H&Ks Red Box), Gain Trim on the front of the amp and maybe a seperate presence control for the clean channel. Other than that this amp is one of the best kept secrets in modern amplification IMO.

Totally agree. We obviously really like the sound of the amp and don't want it to change even if that means giving up functional luxuries.

I guess the admiration for Mesa instills in us the urge for them to do well, and maybe if they upgraded the ED to more of an all around gigging/practicing and recording workhorse they could bring in more sales instead of catering to a specialized market of loyal die hard rockers :)

The clean master on the front would be cool, I really would love to hear what the ED sounds like with tube rectification since I almost exclusively use it on 45w for that extra sag

jdurso said:
I often wonder if implementing these wish list type ideas (while great ideas) would kill the mojo of the amp. The more I read the manual the more it seems like the design is unlike anything Mesa has ever done and A LOT more complex. I could be totally off but the whole AB with extended A range in the power amp seems to play a big part in how loud it is and the broad body of the tone itself, as well as how pick sensitive it is. I wonder if implementing some of the ideas like seperate controls or mulit-watt down to 10 or 5 Watts would actually kill the tone and feel we like so much about the amp.

I look at it this way... a lot of what people would want is in many ways what the Royal Atlantic is. The two amps sound similar enough to almost believe the RA is the EDII. But where most of us would disagree with that statement is in the feel (or at least to me the RA doesn't have the same pick sensitivity) and the body of the tone (i felt the RA sound thinner than the ED) enough to make them two totally different amps.

Anyway I digress.... but if I had a wish list it would be some sort of power scaling or attentuation, a recording out (I think Mesa could come up with something better than H&Ks Red Box), Gain Trim on the front of the amp and maybe a seperate presence control for the clean channel. Other than that this amp is one of the best kept secrets in modern amplification IMO.

It is the best kept secret. I sold my 2x12 combo, but surprise, I have a 1x12 and I actually like the 1x12 more. I think the MC90 in it is PERFECT. My friend has a Royal and I like it but it's a different amp to me. And the Royal is far from perfect IMHO, it should have 2 gain knobs for hi and low OD, presence control would have been nice, and a footswitchable solo boost should have been a must. But the used prices are dropping on the Royal as well and it's a good used buy.

The ED just kills and it's about the only combo I've ever liked.

"...Regular footswitchable reverb (instead of the defeat-style switching)..."

Actually, you can footswitch-control the reverb. Right next to where the reverb send and return RCA jacks are is another 1/4" port on the chassis. You can plug a generic footswitch into that to control reverb on the ED. It's not well documented, but is mentioned in the user's manual.

jnoel64 said:
"...Regular footswitchable reverb (instead of the defeat-style switching)..."

Actually, you can footswitch-control the reverb. Right next to where the reverb send and return RCA jacks are is another 1/4" port on the chassis. You can plug a generic footswitch into that to control reverb on the ED. It's not well documented, but is mentioned in the user's manual.

+1......dedicated on/off footswitch makes it all good !
.....research people, research B-)

Back