The shipper.crashed my Electra Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzpicker

Reaction score
After having a mark v shipped across country without incident, I decided to buy an Electro Dyne just. 200 miles away. The amp arrived overnight but the box just didn't look right, kind of old, stained cellophane tape instead of mesa brown shipping tape. I got the amp out of the box and it looked fine. All was ok until I plugged it in and had 2 channels missing and not responding to the foot switch or the toggle. One of the slide in casters was bent and wouldn't fit. I called mesa and was advised to check all
the 12AX7 tubes for damage and the 3rd one I checked was destroyed. This a new amp and I want a new amp, not something thrown from a truck. I replaced the damaged tube, straightened out the damaged caster. The amp now functions but seems a bit noisy not terrible but not normal.

Here is where I need your advice. I have a 7 day window to return the amp. I will have to make a 400 mile round trip to the music store to trade this amp for another ED (floor model) vs shipping it back via fed ex. I really suspect the amp is probably ok the noise bothers me a bit but it may be normal. Do ii keep it or take it back tomorrow?

Are any of the 12ax7s showing a slight cloudy color on the top? It maybe another one of those are damaged or the amp could not be as new as they're telling you (especially with how you described the box). Could also be a power tube is on its way out, which again shouldn't be the case if its a new amp. Other than that have you tried your cable in a different amp and have you checked to make sure the cable going from the speakers to the speaker outputs is in tight? Could also be a screen resistor on its way out but again, for a new amp (unless its a lemon) that shouldn't be the case and you'd see/smell some smoke.

If I were in your shoes, and you didnt have spare tubes laying around I'd take the trip, return the amp and test out that floor model.

Bummer. I feel your pain man. For me, it would be worth it. I get everything from my ED that I've been looking for in an amp
I like road trips. I'd do it if it was me.

Really sucks man.

Make the trip. Thats me though. It would drive me nuts thinking there could be something wrong with it..

Great amp!

I carefully checked out the amp after making the first post tonight. All tubes seen ok. I thought the reverb sounded weak and it wasn't connected to the chassis (WTF?? Who is building Mesas..), fixed the reverb and all sounds better. I guess the thing that will put me on the road tomorrow is knowing that the amp hit hard enough to break tubes and bend metal. Kinda makes me wonder what else is damaged. This kind of crap always happens to me but all will eventually turn out ok but it's a PITA.

I know there is a lot of controversy about Electra Dyne but I love the sound for the brief time that I have had it. I play jazz and the sound suits me perfectly. I always have the mark V for more aggressive styles of music and I love my Fender. Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated.

Without question return this damaged amp. If you wanted a banged up amp you could have bought one at a considerable discount off of ebay.

Going against great advice I didn't do the road trip instead I removed the chassis and took a big magnifier and literally checked every connection found some glass pieces from the broken tubes, removed the glass and since, the E D has remained my favorite amp any has operated perfectly. I really like the amp and hate that MB dc'd a great amp. I guess the simplicity of the amp is the thing that I like the most. I'm keeping mine!
Almost forgot, thank to the techs at MB that gave phone advice to make sure that the amp was ok.

Back