Just bought Electra Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccart125

Reaction score
Purchased the head from eBay. I have been on the fence for a very long time. Started with the Rec, then thought maybe Roadster or Mark V.. After reading this forum thought I would try the ED.

Pairing it with a 2x12 Rec cab. Can't wait. I think it will do everything I need it to except for the hard stuff. Going to try it with my OCD, but also thinking about getting a Bogner Red to get me that sound. Any other suggestions to beef up the ED rarely when I need that extra push??

Cheers!

mccart125 said:
Purchased the head from eBay. I have been on the fence for a very long time. Started with the Rec, then thought maybe Roadster or Mark V.. After reading this forum thought I would try the ED.

Pairing it with a 2x12 Rec cab. Can't wait. I think it will do everything I need it to except for the hard stuff. Going to try it with my OCD, but also thinking about getting a Bogner Red to get me that sound. Any other suggestions to beef up the ED rarely when I need that extra push??

Cheers!

Heavy tones on the Electra Dyne? HOW Heavy? The 45 watt mode has a more spongy feel with a more vintage sag and response. The 90watt mode is more urgent and direct with an emphasis on the low mids. The most modern tones are found on the Vintage Hi mode with the power at 90watts.

Turn the Gain Trim switch to CLEAN and turn the volume up to about 3:00. Select 90 watt operation mode and set the presence fairly high. More presence adds a lot of aggression to the tone of the amp. You can also tweak the treble and mids to taste. As the treble goes up, the tone gets more bright and aggressive while the Mids add more cut and gain to the tone.

The guitar also plays a huge role here. A guitar with humbuckers can drive the amp much harder. I also found that the Mesa spec MC90 Celestions tend to articulate gain more clearly while the v30s have a smoother tone. The 2 x 12 rectocab might not have quite as gainy a tone but I'm sure it can get plenty thick. Just don't expect this amp to sound like a recto, it simply isn't that thick and phat.

Ultimately, it depends what you are looking for. The Electra Dyne really has a vintage vibe and while playing style really affects the tone the amp produces, it simply will not sound like a Mark V or a Recto. Gotta find the right tool for the job.

In my case, I have an Electra Dyne and a Recto. When playing metal, I always grab the recto.

Good advice.

Buying this amp I knew it would never get Recto gain. If the gain gas doesnt go away, I will add a mini rec to the mix.

mccart125 said:
Good advice.

Buying this amp I knew it would never get Recto gain. If the gain gas doesnt go away, I will add a mini rec to the mix.

A Wampler Triple Wreck would be a bit cheaper. :)

I have a vertical 2x12 recto cabinet I use with my ED and have replaced the top speaker with a C90 (so I have a C90 and V30)...

I also just bought a Royal Atlantic 27" 1x12 cabinet - sounds fantastic with the ED and Mini!!!!

mccart125 said:
I think it will do everything I need it to except for the hard stuff. Going to try it with my OCD, but also thinking about getting a Bogner Red to get me that sound. Any other suggestions to beef up the ED rarely when I need that extra push??

IMO, the ED will go just as heavy as a Recto, it just goes about it in a diffent way. The tone is thick and solid without the sizzle or saturation of a high gain amp. I don't even turn the gain above 12:00 and I can do everything from blues to metal with a twist of my guitar's volume knob. "Heavy" is about more than just gain, and there's a lot to be said for playing loud and digging in with your pick attack.

The only stuff I struggle with is playing styles that depend on a lot of compression, but a simple tubescreamer solves that issue, and it produces a lot of that sizzle and saturation some find desirable.

Don't really have anything to ad to what's been said except that it's a great amp.
Congrats on the purchase !

Congrats! For pedals, keep in mind that the Bogner Red will not stack well as a "boost". It is meant to be played through the clean channel set very clean. What it will do is add another channel that sounds and feels exactly like a Bogner Ecstasy.

If you want something that's more an extension of the amp's gain for boosting, I'd recommend a BB or BB+. My personal fav with all Mesa stuff.

glassjaw7 said:
Congrats! For pedals, keep in mind that the Bogner Red will not stack well as a "boost". It is meant to be played through the clean channel set very clean. What it will do is add another channel that sounds and feels exactly like a Bogner Ecstasy.

If you want something that's more an extension of the amp's gain for boosting, I'd recommend a BB or BB+. My personal fav with all Mesa stuff.

Did some research on the BB, really like the way it sounds with a clean tone. Will it boost a lead tone as well??

Just bought a Dark Terror for my crunch stuff, not here yet. Total different characteristics than a Mesa, but had to have it.

Thinking the BB and the ED are going to be like having another totally different sounding lead tone. :mrgreen:

glassjaw7 said:

You guys have any experience with the Flux Drive? Anyone compared it to the BB?

YellowJacket said:
mikeller said:
I also just bought a Royal Atlantic 27" 1x12 cabinet - sounds fantastic with the ED and Mini!!!!

Yup, that is a KILLER cab! I'm a huge fan!

Yes it is. I agonized over for a while - glad I finally gave in!!! It works well with both my heads!!! And I suspect if I ever wanted to I could use at as an extension on the Lonestar and it would kill!

Use the Bogner red with the Electra Dyne and you'll get high gain tones easily. With a pedal like the OCD I prefer to set the level high on the pedal and keep the gain low. But with the Bogner red it's sounds great with level and gain halfway on the pedal. And with the amp I would set the volume 75% of the way up and set master wherever you want, gets LOUD quick though.

So received my ED head on Friday. As you can imagine I have been playing most of the weekend.

First impressions... This is an amazing amp!

Clean is amazing, one of the best I've heard. Still working with the clean level on the back. Still not perfect but I think I will get it there. Reverb is really good. I also have a TC Hall of Fame, haven't even tried it yet.

Lo Gain - The best channel I've ever heard on any amp. A majority of my time is spent here. This channel loves single coils. My LP sounds good but my Strat sounds amazing. I can see why you guys love Tele's with this amp.. I am using pretty standard settings (Hendrix rhythm off the website). The volume power is an issue, but not convinced I need a Rock Crusher yet..

Hi Gain - Haven't spent a ton of time here. Seams a bit flubby to me. I am not impressed with my OCD with this amp. Need to search for a new OD pedal once that can boost this channel better for me.

I am playing the head through a 2x12 Rec cab. I can see how the RA 27 cab can really make this amp shine..

Not too worried about the gain channel though. My Dark Terror gets here tomorrow, run that through the rec cab. Find the best cab for the ED and then A/B them..

Thanks again for all the posts that lead me to this amazing amp. It's a keeper..

Cheers,
Mike

I use a Radial hot british for my metal tones. I had it side by side with my Mesa Mark III both thru mc-90's and was able to dial in the radial to sound identical to the Mark including tightness and v scoop. I just sold the mark III because it was redundant with this pedal. I run the gain on the Dyne :twisted: at 3 o'clock treble 1:30 mids 10:00 bass @ noon presence @1:30. I even tried the hot british as a boost and got some bogner tones on hi. I'm debating getting the plexitube as it is a 2 channel hot british then I can do both!

mccart125 said:
So received my ED head on Friday. As you can imagine I have been playing most of the weekend.

First impressions... This is an amazing amp!

Clean is amazing, one of the best I've heard. Still working with the clean level on the back. Still not perfect but I think I will get it there. Reverb is really good. I also have a TC Hall of Fame, haven't even tried it yet.

Lo Gain - The best channel I've ever heard on any amp. A majority of my time is spent here. This channel loves single coils. My LP sounds good but my Strat sounds amazing. I can see why you guys love Tele's with this amp.. I am using pretty standard settings (Hendrix rhythm off the website). The volume power is an issue, but not convinced I need a Rock Crusher yet..

Hi Gain - Haven't spent a ton of time here. Seams a bit flubby to me. I am not impressed with my OCD with this amp. Need to search for a new OD pedal once that can boost this channel better for me.

I am playing the head through a 2x12 Rec cab. I can see how the RA 27 cab can really make this amp shine..

Not too worried about the gain channel though. My Dark Terror gets here tomorrow, run that through the rec cab. Find the best cab for the ED and then A/B them..

Thanks again for all the posts that lead me to this amazing amp. It's a keeper..

Cheers,
Mike

Flubby high gain!?? It was actually Vintage Hi that sold me the amp although now I use Vintage Lo almost all the time. I've found it to be very tight on Vintage HI but this could be due to guitars / EQ settings. The amp is so incredibly dynamic and responsive which is what I think makes it so fun to play!

YellowJacket said:
Flubby high gain!?? It was actually Vintage Hi that sold me the amp although now I use Vintage Lo almost all the time. I've found it to be very tight on Vintage HI but this could be due to guitars / EQ settings. The amp is so incredibly dynamic and responsive which is what I think makes it so fun to play!

Just because you've found the perfect amp for you doesn't mean it's the perfect amp for everybody else. :)

I am getting some better tones out of it. Mesa's are so bass heavy, needed to turn that down a tad..

Bought the BB pre to boost up the signal for V-Hi. Not liking it.. Sounded great with the Roadster at GC..

Not liking any of my OD's with this amp so far, which is fine.

Prob gonna take back the BB and try the Flux D.

Amp is still new to me. Tone nirvana is close, I can taste it.

ifailedshapes said:
Just because you've found the perfect amp for you doesn't mean it's the perfect amp for everybody else. :)

NO!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

It is the best amp for EVERYONE! It is the best amp for everyone. It is the best amp for every...

Latest posts

Back