Bogner XTC red pedal and Electra Dyne. WIN.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyeo1

Reaction score
I picked up the XTC red pedal to check out. Damm, this thing is great. The amount of options is nice and it's got a boatload of gain I'm finding myself setting the level halfway and the gain on 3 which is much lower settings than I'd use on a BB Preamp or OCD. I've stuck with the BB for a while but I think the red XTC just knocked it off the board. And I tried an OCD and Fulltone GT-500 and the XTC pedal smokes them IMHO.

Not cheap but the ED with this pedal are pretty smokin.

The Bogner Red is by FAR the best dist/dirt pedal I've ever used. It completely blows away anything I've owned (BB+, OCD v.4, a million MXR, Boss, DOD, TS clones, boutique stuff, visual sound J&H, just to name a few)

Thing about the Bog red is that it's made to be run into a CLEAN amp. It doesn't stack well with other od's and it only sounds ok into a crunchy amp. That's why I still have use for my fuzzface and muff type pedals, because they layer and stack so well for those Gilmour tones.

I want an ED so bad also. It's the perfect amp for a nice pedalboard and the dirty "channel" is amazing in its own right. Too bad they're discontinued.

glassjaw7 said:
I want an ED so bad also. It's the perfect amp for a nice pedalboard and the dirty "channel" is amazing in its own right. Too bad they're discontinued.

I didn't want to end up in this situation so I snatched up an Electra Dyne and a matching 1 x 12 cab BEFORE this happened.
The good news is that you may be able to pick one up on the cheap if you look carefully!

glassjaw7 said:
The Bogner Red is by FAR the best dist/dirt pedal I've ever used. It completely blows away anything I've owned (BB+, OCD v.4, a million MXR, Boss, DOD, TS clones, boutique stuff, visual sound J&H, just to name a few)

Thing about the Bog red is that it's made to be run into a CLEAN amp. It doesn't stack well with other od's and it only sounds ok into a crunchy amp. That's why I still have use for my fuzzface and muff type pedals, because they layer and stack so well for those Gilmour tones.

It sounds killer in the the ED's red and blue modes so whether it's made for clean amps or not doesn't seem to bother the Ed. Thing is, I found the Ed takes pedals so well because it's got a lot of bottom end and not a whole lot of preamp gain and a lot of headroom. It took me only 15 minutes to put my BB Preamp up for sale after comparing it on the Ed dirty modes.

Dan, I used the Red pedal for while and was going to sell off a bunch of other ODs. Then at rehearsal I took my pedals and I found my Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive to sound just as good and more transparent. Cheaper too! In fact, instead of walking over to my Shiva at rehearsal and hitting the high gain switch, I just kick on my J&J OD and it sounds just as good. Ben Fargen makes GREAT pedals. With the Sonic Edge Tumbleweed and J&J OD, I have it all covered.

Back