Electra Dyne Officially Discontinued...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWAKO

Reaction score
Just received an email from Trent at GC notifying us that the Electra Dyne is regretfully discontinued effective immediately. He said "while virtually everyone agrees that the amp sounds amazing, unfortunately the enthusiasm expressed verbally hasn't translated to the number of actual orders necessary for us to commit to continuing to build this fantastic sounding amplifier."

Sad day, I loved mine.

I knew it would happen, based on how little you see & hear of them. It's a shame. It's hands down my favorite Mesa product. Isn't Fender Clean with Marshall Drive in one amp what every guitar player ever wanted?

Maybe I'll be able to catch one on blowout at GC or something. Being discontinued makes me want to own two, just in case.

Sucks. I love the amp but I had a feeling as it seemed to not catch on. I'm not sure the Royal Atlantic is doing much better though?

The ED combo our store has is tagged at $1199.99 on clearance and Mesa told us to take an additional 10% from that. So now is the time to snag one up!

Knew it was coming, and I'm actually glad... It's fun having the best short run Boogies when years later people catch on. I don't know how the RA is doing, but it does seem the masses favor uber gain mark and recto Boogies over anything brit inspired.

I just think that the majority of people who would like the Dyne didn't ever try it because they think of Boogie as a Mark/Recto company only, as well as an expensive amp company. They also won't see Mesa at all in places like GC. Mesa rides the line of boutique/production, and I think that is a double-edged sword. The image is a big deal. Look at the Kim Thayil ad for the Dyne. I think of Soundgarden as a recto band (right or wrong), so that would never have made me try a Dyne. Having someone like Andy Timmons, Robin Trower or Eric Johnson endorse it would have gotten more mileage. I only tried it because of what I read on this forum - I had never heard of it outside of TBB.

After all the discussions about "technical mistakes" Boogie may or may not have made on the Dyne, I think the real trouble was marketing. Bringing it in at $500 less and selling it through big chain stores would have probably kicked up sales by 10x. Of course Mesa isn't geared up to handle that kind of volume, and the margins would have been low, maybe nonexistent.

The silver lining is that the amps are built like trucks and will last forever, and there are plenty of them out there for those who want them. The price will drop to about $700 like an Express or F-series. And we'll be able to get the schematics :D

Thus begins the countless threads on which revision, stripe, pre-xxx serial# Electra Dyne is the bestest and most valuable. :lol:
I only played an ED once when the Reborn Rectos first came out. I was playing a new Reborn Dual at a music store when I thought I'd try the ED combo out also. After playing the Recto the ED was so fat and warm that I almost left the store with it. Great amps for sure.

I feed that Mesa's marketing department really dropped the ball on this amp. Before I purchased one I would search the web for information, reviews sound clips or videos anything to help me understand the amp. Very little information was available. Even the videos produced by Mesa were average at best. They could have promoted this amp so much better.

Anyway that doesn't really matter now, but my point is even a great amp can be overlooked if not properly marketed.

just my 2 cents.

Indeed a very unique Mesa amp. Love mine and hope to use it for many years to come!!!!

Wow. Can't say I didn't see this coming, but it's still sad. I've got a bad feeling about the LSS, too, for some reason.

Mesa needs to figure out a new marketing strategy. They have a product for everyone, but most guitar players STILL only think of metal when Mesa/Boogie enters a conversation.

Sad, but not surprising to me either. I owned one for about 8 months and really liked the sounds I could obtain in each of the modes......I just had difficulty setting it for obtaining great balanced footswitchable clean, lo gain and high gain sounds from all modes while rehearsing or playing live. The inherent compromises with the "easy" layout just didn't work for my needs.

That said, I was definitely able to achieve great clean, lo gain and hi gain sounds when tweaking settings in each particular mode! :mrgreen:

I will say that I felt the ED was marketed (decently, but not great) in that I was able to audition the amp locally shortly after its release. In fact, it was at a local Guitar Center that has carried and continues to carry Mesa amps to this day that I bought my ED. That said, I do realize that MB isn't offered in all GC's these days....fewer and fewer day by day.

Now, if I am allowed to talk about a big mistake in Mesa marketing.....I would have to give the trophy to the RA! I have never even seen one to audition to this day and I live in one of the largest cities in the US? Not even my local GC that still carries Mesa's has ever had one for me to audition. That is incredibly poor marketing IMO!! I know longer even have a desire to audition the RA. Honestly, this is all for the best because I am very happy with the current amps that I own.

Anyway, yes, it is sad that the ED has been discontinued. Nice sounding amp indeed!

The Electra Dyne is brilliant in a 'set it and forget about it' kind of way. It's a marvel of engineering that the amp can do so much with so little but that being said, I don't see any reason for the ganged pots / single EQ stack except for "LOOK WHAT WE CAN DO."

While the amp works perfectly fine as is, I believe (And I told Mesa) that 3 separate tone stacks would have made this amplifier a very attractive option without over-complicating things. They could have done away with the Clean Level Trim Pot and the Gain Trim switch and the amp would have been infinitely more useable.

Luckily for me, I got the amp to work for my needs so I have this phenomenal piece of gear that almost nobody else uses. Going to be a good rest of my life ;)

I had a feeling this news would be coming soon. Too bad, IMO it's the best Boogie in recent years.

It seems like Mesa tried to jump on the "everything vintage is cool" train with the new amps, but didn't actually market them that way. I think if they had put the Dyne, TA and RA into the same settings as vintage Mashall and Vox amps (which are WAY more expensive than new Mesas) they might have found more homes.

However, Mesa has what seems to be a pretty iron-clad agreement with their distys, and I think it really handcuffs them. And they seem pretty light on advertising, of course I don't tend to be exposed to the types of media that they would be advertising in, so I don't really know if they have been getting the word out.

Ultimately, they have tho service their core customers first, and that would be Mark and Recto users. The rest are just market expansion. The Express and Lonestar seem to be doing well.

Back