Problems I see.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardn10

Reaction score
These are the problems I see hat keep me from making a jump on either the Electra Dyne or Royal Atlantic. Some key amp features I look for when considering an amp for gigging.

1) Solo boost. I prefer an amp to have a built in second master or solo boost. I find this sounds better than any other method. I hae tried tube screamers, clean boosts and EQ's in the loop, but nothing sounds as good as built in. I also like when the boost is capable of adding mids and or gain such as is the case with my 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva and the Splawn Quick Rod.

2) Switchable effectsloop. This is not the top of my list but it sure is nice to have! A few of my amps hve the ability to switch the loop on and off from the pedal board and it is a nice feature!

If the Royal or ED had the solo boost, I probably would have jumped by now.

boardn10 said:
These are the problems I see hat keep me from making a jump on either the Electra Dyne or Royal Atlantic. Some key amp features I look for when considering an amp for gigging.

1) Solo boost. I prefer an amp to have a built in second master or solo boost. I find this sounds better than any other method. I hae tried tube screamers, clean boosts and EQ's in the loop, but nothing sounds as good as built in. I also like when the boost is capable of adding mids and or gain such as is the case with my 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva and the Splawn Quick Rod.

2) Switchable effectsloop. This is not the top of my list but it sure is nice to have! A few of my amps hve the ability to switch the loop on and off from the pedal board and it is a nice feature!

The RA most definitely has a solo boost. That's what Hi mode is. Heck, you could set the Lo mode to be your boost if you like. Just use the attenuators. That's a better boost than the boost feature on most Mesa's, where the overall volume of the amp is less to compensate for the perceive 'boost.' This feature is precisely the reason some prefer to bypass Mesa loops, since the amp seems to 'open up' a bit.

guitarrhinoceros said:
boardn10 said:

The RA most definitely has a solo boost. That's what Hi mode is. Heck, you could set the Lo mode to be your boost if you like. Just use the attenuators. That's a better boost than the boost feature on most Mesa's, where the overall volume of the amp is less to compensate for the perceive 'boost.' This feature is precisely the reason some prefer to bypass Mesa loops, since the amp seems to 'open up' a bit.

Interesting, I didn't see a solo boost on the RA. I like to use an amp like this. Footswitchable clean, crunch and high gain, then solo boost. The Splawn StreetRod and QuickRod are perfect examples of this. The RA doesn't have this feature. My moddede Dual Rec is great that I can control the effects loop and have a killer solo boost. Also my PWE is great too where I have a great solo boost that also adds gain and mids!!! My 20th Shiva is great too as the boost adds mids and gain!!! I love how Splawn configures their amps as well. Great, three modes, OD 1 and 2 and solo boost!!!

I love the Electra Dyne but it has some issues. I wish it had a built in solo boost with additional gain. I can get around this with the right pedal, however. The other options is I just buy a used Splawn and call it a day, LOL.

However, been talking to a guy I know, Brian who owns BFG Amplification. He said he can take the E.D. and add gain, tighten it up, improve the mids for better cut and make it much better at low volumes. :)

I admit, I'd like a solo boost on the amp, like the LoneStar I had for a while had. But coming from a JMP, this thing is packed with features. I have a delay in the loop anyway, so I just use a Keeley Rat in mighty mouse mode for boost and it's killer.

All the cables running back & forth to the amp are annoying, but I figure I'll just zip tie them together and it'll be no big deal.

After years of trying to get more low end out of a JMP Master Vol, with no great clean channel, no reverb, and easily twice the pain in the *** to lug around than my 1x12 widebody 'dyne that I bought used for $1200... I am thrilled. Just wish I owned 2, a shortbody when I wanted even more portability & for backup. Honestly, this amp is a dream. If I'd had one 15 years ago when I started out, I'd have saved a lot of time & money searching for something else.

Can't say enough about the amp. I don't know why more people don't have them, and I just hope they keep making them.

ksms said:
Honestly, this amp is a dream. If I'd had one 15 years ago when I started out, I'd have saved a lot of time & money searching for something else.

Can't say enough about the amp. I don't know why more people don't have them, and I just hope they keep making them.

+1

Yup, pretty much. Such a great piece of gear! I miss mine right now since I have been unable to play it for about two weeks or so!

I am still in the fence about getting one but I think a used Royal Atlantic head fits me better.
Better midrange, more aggressive for heavier styles. Sucks I will have to throw another pedal on my board though for a solo boost.

YellowJacket's last post is spot on IMO!

If a solo boost feature on an amp is important to you.....then maybe neither of these amps are "right for you". Only you can decide what is best for you.

Best of luck no matter what you decide! :D

I really wish the Electra Dyne could get the creamy lead tone you get on a good Marshall.
My tech said he could modify the Electra Dyne to do what I want, better master volume, better low volume tones, better mids, slightly more gain and better, creamier mids. I am excited!

.....Just
..........get
...............a
.................good
........................pedal
...............................!!!

Birdy makes a great point, a very good pedal will do what I want. I have used pedals to add gain or tighten up the tone or improve low volume tones. That is why I spent good money on Xotic pedals and Sonic Edge pedals. :)

Latest posts

Back