Problem with volume balance...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reynirs

Reaction score
Has anybody had any problem getting a balanced volume between the clean setting and two gain settings? I find it hard to use my ED live cause the clean is to low compared to the gain settings...
Great amp though, the low gain setting is to die for!

Wouldn't be the first time someone complained about this.

Do you use a guitar with single coil pickups?

Dumb question: You know where the clean level trim pot is, right?

Yes I know where the adjustable volume knob is but I have it maxed out when Im playing live and stil I need a little extra.....I have used the gain trim switch but then you loose so much saturation....
Can a HotPlate be an answer to my problem? Then I could turn the master more up and maby then even the volume difference?

I leave my volume at about 3:00, put the master wherever I want the overall volume, then on the backside of the amp, keep the gain trim on Normal (center) and adjust that gain trim knob to balance the volume better the clean tone and the two gain tones. No problem getting a good balance

YellowJacket said:
So, using a guitar with single coil pickups?
I actually use a Fender Strat am-standard with Steve Lukathers EMG set and also I just bought a Gibson Sg 61 reissu that may become my main guitar but I haven't used it live with the ED.

Reynirs said:
Yes I know where the adjustable volume knob is but I have it maxed out when Im playing live and stil I need a little extra.....I have used the gain trim switch but then you loose so much saturation....

The Volume (gain) knob on the front of the amp (not the Master volume).

On channels 2 and 3 increases/decreases gain while on the clean channel it increases/decreases the volume. If you need to tweak the final balance and the gain trim isn't doing it for you then try adjusting the gain on the front.

Reynirs said:
Has anybody had any problem getting a balanced volume between the clean setting and two gain settings? I find it hard to use my ED live cause the clean is to low compared to the gain settings...
Great amp though, the low gain setting is to die for!

+1

It's not impossible, but it's tedious. Between the Volume (gain) knob and the gain trim switch/knob, you can find a balance, but having to tweak front and rear controls makes a seemingly-simple amp pretty darn cumbersome.

I don't own an ED, yet and have a question.
Can you get the clean channel to be slightly dirty and then balance it with the gain channels?

kramerxxx said:
I don't own an ED, yet and have a question.
Can you get the clean channel to be slightly dirty and then balance it with the gain channels?

Yes.

Scenario #1. Low master settings. Decide how MUCH gain saturation you want for Vintage Lo and High. For MAXIMUM GAIN, set the Gain Trim Switch to Clean. In this scenario, you will have to bury the Volume to get the clean mode to start to overdrive. For lots of gain, set the Gain Trim Switch to Normal and set the Volume fairly high. This will give quite a bit of gain on VIntage Lo and High. FOr low gain on Vintage Lo and Medium gain on Vintage Hi, set the gain trim switch to 'lo high'. Then you can run the volume lower and the clean mode will still break up a bit. Just a word of warning, as the gain levels increase, the bottom end on the amp gets much bigger so the clean mode can get flubby. You have to run the treble higher since this will feed less signal to the bass control. YOu can also run the mids higher and the bass lower. It's tricky, but possible.

Scenario #2. Lots of STAGE VOLUME! Power the amp up in 45watt mode and set reasonable settings on the amp. Don't run the volume TOO high! Now, turn the amp up until the power section starts to clip slightly. DONE!!!!!

Latest posts

Back