New member with questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardn10

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here and I had a few Electra Dyne questions if possible.

Right now I own a modified Dual Rectifier, Bogner Shiva and PWE Event Horizon. I was looking at the Egnater modular system or the Mesa Electra Dynde as my next amp. I am worried about the ED, because in stores I can not get the tones I want without cranking it. Are their tricks you have all found to make this amp work at home and at gigs? I was also thinking of picking up the Mesa Royal 2x12 cab and maybe one of the new Mesa Boogie pedals!

Why should I get the ED? Why not the Royal Atlantic or a Splawn or Egnater modular system? Since I play a lot at home and can't be spending a lot on amps going forward I was thinking of getting a used Electra Dyne and for flavors, just get pedals. There are some great pedals out there. I could use the Electra Dyne straight or with boosts for high gain or I could just as easily just have the Electra Dyne set on clean and use all pedals. The new Bogner pedals sound as good as any amp through an amp that takes pedals well! :)

Thanks!

I don't have any issues getting the tones I need even at lower volumes. But the ED shines when cranked. What settings are you using?

OK...just got back from my friend's studio. He has the YJM and ED and lots of other amps. I thought the Electra Dyne killed the YJM for clean or gain! I was kicking out some Tool songs with the Electra Dyne on the Gain channel mode 3 with no OD boost and it rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate combos, so I would get the head and a huge 112 with C90 or a 212 with C90/V30.

By the way guys, my old forum name was Papersoul. It hasn't been working well so I created this new account.

WOW - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7QbSZBz0dI

Why should I get the ED? Why not the Royal Atlantic or a Splawn or Egnater modular system? Since I play a lot at home and can't be spending a lot on amps going forward I was thinking of getting a used Electra Dyne and for flavors, just get pedals. There are some great pedals out there. I could use the Electra Dyne straight or with boosts for high gain or I could just as easily just have the Electra Dyne set on clean and use all pedals. The new Bogner pedals sound as good as any amp through an amp that takes pedals well!

boardn10 said:
Hi all,

Why should I get the ED? Why not the Royal Atlantic or a Splawn or Egnater modular system? Since I play a lot at home and can't be spending a lot on amps going forward I was thinking of getting a used Electra Dyne and for flavors, just get pedals. There are some great pedals out there. I could use the Electra Dyne straight or with boosts for high gain or I could just as easily just have the Electra Dyne set on clean and use all pedals. The new Bogner pedals sound as good as any amp through an amp that takes pedals well! :)

Thanks!

I tried the RA and I owned an Eganter for a while. Didn't impress me as much as the ED. The ED is much more organic sounding and full. I haven't tried the Splawn but from what I'be heard on clips it sounds very stiff to me. As you said there are some great pedals out there which will give you most any sounds you are after. But to be honest I rarely need pedals when I use my ED. Either way the ED takes pedals well.

I don't think you can go wrong with the ED its one of two amps I still own after trying many! And I'm picky...! :)

I am excited about adding the ED to my collection but the shared EQ can be a pest and it really doesn't work to well at home volumes or moderate club volumes so I may have it modified by BFG amplification to work better at low volumes.

I really want something simple, close to a modern take on an old Plexi where pedals work very well. So, basically I have a simple, pure amp and can be shaped with good pedals for anythuing I want form clean to grunge to blues to metal, etc.

I have to stay away from my guitar tech. He thinks Mesa Boogers sound like crap next to a Marshall. I feel the opposite. I prefer the bigger, thicker tone of Mesa over Marshall. He also tells me the ED sounds horrible. LOL.

Merry Christmas!!! I have to stop listening to my guitar tech who is a Marshall guy. He thinks the ED sounds like ****. I totally disagree. He thinks even the Marshall DSL is better. If the ED had a better master circuit for low volume, I would have one. However, with how well it takes pedals, at low volume, it should be good for gigs. Also, Brian said he can modify the master to let it kick as at lower volumes. He said, after his mod, it will sound as good as the Royal at low volumes!!!! Nice thing about the Electra Dyne is that it can sound like any rig since it takes pedals well. Say hello to the Bogner red and blue pedals.
:)

I have heard people say the Royal is like a Bogner Shiva. No way. It is nothing like a Shiva. I find it to be a blend of Mark V and Rectifier. Because it is not high end like a Bogner or Diezel, the Electra Dyne and Royal lack the complexity and dimension of a high end amp. :'(

Who cares what other people think?

I think you need to do two things.

1) Stop listening to other people.

2) Play a bunch of amps until something speaks to you. Go with that.

I live the hugeness of this amp. I also love the simplicity.
We don't play modern metal. I play classic rock, hard rock, old school metal, grunge, punk, modern rock. The heaviest our band plays is Enter Sandman, by Metallica, some Alice in Chains and Tool. Dude, the right pedal will tighten up this amp for anything. I have a nice EQ in the loop as well.
Also I want a Marshall Vintage Modern 2466.

Back