6v6 in an Electradyne???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether it is possible to run the ED with four 6v6 tubes (with appropriate bias adjustment of course)?? Thanks for considering my potential lunacy!!!! :lol:

Actually, this is a great idea. However, the 6V6 will probably not take the plate voltage that was designed for the 6L6. That makes bias adjust not enough. You would have to cut the plate voltage as well, which is less simple. Maybe a couple 30V Zeners in series with the plate bias would work.

Thanks for the idea Elvis. I'll see if my amp guy thinks that it's worth the aggravation.

BTW, are you using V30s with the Electradyne? The over=hyped mids and lows have me leaning towards selling it. Right now, I'm running it through an open back 1x12 with a Emi Swamp Thang. I also tried an Emi Wizard but the sound was way too "mid-honky". Thanks again!

Matt

No Problem, Matt.

You may be able to find a 6V6 with a high enough rated plate voltage that it's not an issue. I think you will also have to alter the filament current. Definitely some tech work to do.

I run my Dyne into a 2x12 horizontal recto cab with V30s that sounds GREAT. I also use a 4x10 that sounds great, but different. Really depends on my mood.

I do find that angling the cabinet down helps reduce the amount of mids I hear, so that a horizontal cab on the floor sounds better to me than a vertical (I have both at home) where the speaker is aimed right at me.

The 4x10 sounds like it has flatter frequency response to me, but the recto sounds more lively and has better low frequency response.

mdortona said:
Thanks for the idea Elvis. I'll see if my amp guy thinks that it's worth the aggravation.

BTW, are you using V30s with the Electradyne? The over=hyped mids and lows have me leaning towards selling it. Right now, I'm running it through an open back 1x12 with a Emi Swamp Thang. I also tried an Emi Wizard but the sound was way too "mid-honky". Thanks again!

Matt

The Electra Dyne is a fussy amp. I suggest trying it with a Royal Atlantic 27" 1 x 12 extension cab or the Royal Atlantic 2 x 12 extension cab. These cabs were originally designed for use with the Electra Dyne and either sounds awesome. The 2 x 12 has v30s so it has a brighter tone with more emphasis on the mids and highs while the c90 in the 1 x 12 is a bit darker and phatter.

Nice set up! I actually parted ways with the ED about a month after I last posted. Been using the Express 525+ quite a bit and it is getting the job done on most of our gigs. Still looking for a smaller set-up and have been down the TA30 path twice. Great amp but just two **** hissy when using the reverb and the loop so that's a no go. So the GAS invested search goes on :lol:

Matt

Back