Compressor?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
I just picked up an Xotic SP Compressor. Does anyone else here use a compressor with their Electra Dyne? If you do, where do you put it, in front or in the loop? I haven't tried the loop yet, but I really want to hear how it sounds post-gain.

Typically they go pre-gain so that they can control the dynamics direct from the guitar without interference from other gain sources.

That said, you can use them wherever you want.

Yeah, I'm aware of what they do and how they work, but I'm still curious who here has used one with an Electra Dyne. Have you tried it?

I just picked one up last night. Didnt adjust any DIP switches, just plugged in right out of the box.

I'm running mine up front... WAH>Tuner>SP Compressor>Phaser>Amp

Are they typically this noisy? I tried different settings, etc., but had ALOT of background noise.

Patrick

A compressor works by gaining up small signals to be similar to larger signals. If you add lots of compression, you will gain up the noise quite a bit.

In general I use minimal compression, and only on the clean channel.

elvis said:
A compressor works by gaining up small signals to be similar to larger signals. If you add lots of compression, you will gain up the noise quite a bit.

In general I use minimal compression, and only on the clean channel.

Yup. In my limited experience, compression on the dirty channels kills the magic. Compression can be a cool effect for clean stuff, but I would say to only use it if you need it. Please remember that this is just my opinion.

I use a Mad Professor Forrest Green compressor (the Circuit board version) and I just leave it on all the time. It has a compressor setting and a sustain setting. I keep it set to sustain and I just keep it on all the time. It just makes everything sound better. The other guitar player in my band keeps trying to steal it from me to try it out. I have some decent pedals and it's the only one he likes.

I played around with it more at rehearsal last night. Found I had a bad cable, so that cured MOST of the noise.

+1 on the clean channels. I turn it off for the dirt/crunch type stuff.

Back