cabinet question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeller

Reaction score
Preface by saying I use my Electra-Dyne head with a Recto Vertical 2x12 cabinet (C90 top, V30 bottom).

Needless to say, the ED is a really loud amp and it seems on the low-side of things the master volume goes from off to loud really quick.

Would there much much difference in perceived volume if I were to buy a Royal Atlantic 27 1x12 cabinet to use instead of the vertical 2x12 cabinet on stages where a ton of volume isn't desired?

Thanks

The single speaker will help with tone at lower volume for sure. The RA 27" 1 x 12 is an absolutely fantastic sounding cab and I think you'll find it manageable with the head on 90 watts.

I don't think it would make enough difference in volume to warrant having 2 cabinets. All other things being equal, halving your speaker surface area will decrease perceived volume by 3db. Couldn't you just wire your 2x12 cabinet with a dual jack that allowed you to plug into one speaker or both speakers, depending on which jack you plug into? That'd be a lot cheaper than a new cab, plus you could make the single speaker the top one, allowing it to project toward your ears better than a 1x12 on the floor.

ksms said:
I don't think it would make enough difference in volume to warrant having 2 cabinets. All other things being equal, halving your speaker surface area will decrease perceived volume by 3db. Couldn't you just wire your 2x12 cabinet with a dual jack that allowed you to plug into one speaker or both speakers, depending on which jack you plug into? That'd be a lot cheaper than a new cab, plus you could make the single speaker the top one, allowing it to project toward your ears better than a 1x12 on the floor.

Very good suggestion - however you are killing my gas!!! LOL.

No seriously, another reason why I would consider it is size. With the 1x12 I could set is on a stand and angle it towards me on small stages.

I get it about the size. I have a 27" 1x12 combo and I don't need any more. It's plenty loud... and plenty heavy, but at least it's just 1 thing and it has stout wheels. Beats my Marshall halfstack in just about every category, and seems every bit as loud.

ksms said:

I respectfully disagree.
I find that with 2 x 12s and 4 x 12s, it is massively underpowered speakers that cause that tinny buzzy fizzy tone we hate so much.

The 1 x 12 allows the speaker to move more at lower volumes, not to mention that the cab is a portly 40lbs. It weighs the same as my head and is really easy to move. I use it for practicing, teaching, and jamming. I also imagine it would be great for small-ish gigs since I ran it off the stage in a small building at what amounted to no more than a coffee shop type gig. We had no drummer, just me, and a singer with an acoustic guitar. I had dripping reverb all over that gig!!!

YellowJacket said:
ksms said:

I respectfully disagree.
I find that with 2 x 12s and 4 x 12s, it is massively underpowered speakers that cause that tinny buzzy fizzy tone we hate so much.

The 1 x 12 allows the speaker to move more at lower volumes, not to mention that the cab is a portly 40lbs. It weighs the same as my head and is really easy to move. I use it for practicing, teaching, and jamming. I also imagine it would be great for small-ish gigs since I ran it off the stage in a small building at what amounted to no more than a coffee shop type gig. We had no drummer, just me, and a singer with an acoustic guitar. I had dripping reverb all over that gig!!!

I don't know what I do wrong but volume always seems to be an issue. My band mic's everything and the soundman wants total control. When I gig with the ED the master never gets off 9 oclock (or 3). Any lower and it goes away. I bought a mini rec head hoping it might help, but its still plenty loud, even though I can push it more. The only thing that half-way works is my Lonestar combo but it is flipping heavy and hard to move. The Lonestar seems to have a great taper on the master.

That is why I was thinking of the 1-12 cabinet I could use with the ED or Mini - easier to carry, I could put it on a stand and angle it better away from the soundman and so forth....

The Electra Dyne with the master on 9 is stinking loud. I was running a 2 x 12 off of a semi trailer on 90 watts with the master at 3:00 and we couldn't hear the rest of the band.

I find that the amp sounds great at lower levels. I'd usually run the master 8:00 to 9:00 at gigs and I'd have no trouble. The 1 x 12 is easier to move for sure but it is ported and it has a phat low end. Something to thing about.

YellowJacket said:
The Electra Dyne with the master on 9 is stinking loud. I was running a 2 x 12 off of a semi trailer on 90 watts with the master at 3:00 and we couldn't hear the rest of the band.

I find that the amp sounds great at lower levels. I'd usually run the master 8:00 to 9:00 at gigs and I'd have no trouble. The 1 x 12 is easier to move for sure but it is ported and it has a phat low end. Something to thing about.

I meant to imply 9:00 on a clock face (approx on 3)...

The Royal Atlantic 1x12 cab is ported?

mikeller said:
YellowJacket said:

I meant to imply 9:00 on a clock face (approx on 3)...

I know exactly what you meant and yes, it is LOUD with the master open 1/4. Once you get the master to 3:00 the power section starts to overdrive like crazy. It really becomes a different amplifier at this point.

The Royal Atlantic 1x12 cab is ported?

Yup, it has a big wide oval hole in the back! Awesome sounding cab!

For better control of master volume, put an attenuator (basically anything clean with a volume knob) in the FX loop. Set the master high and use the box in the loop to control volume. It will likely have a much more useable taper than the ridiculous linear master.

Latest posts

Back