Paired my Electra Dyne with a Scumback...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespauljoe1

Reaction score
I have tried a few speakers with my Electra Dyne since picking it up just to hear differences. The stock Celestion C 90 actually sounds very good, but the bottom is very robust and can get a little too loose, especially in the 45 watt setting. I also had an Eminence Commonwealth and it also sounded very good, but the bottom tended to overwhelm the other frequencies. I then tried a Weber Chicago. This sounded very good as well and was very balanced. It is only rated at 80 watts however, and I use two of them with my American style amp and wanted something a little more vintage British to pair with the ED.

I had already installed a vintage quad of Mullard EL34 XF2's in the ED to bring out more of that British tone, but I still wanted to try another speaker. I have used Scumback's in the past in other amps, so I knew how good they were. I filled out the inquiry at the Scumback website and explained what I wanted to change or obtain. Within a few hours, I received a reply suggesting I try a H75-100 watt speaker. It arrived and I installed it and played for a few hours.

First off, this was an excellent recommendation. It really helped tighten up the bottom for more of a punchy presence. The speaker is very well balanced and isn't dominated by any particular frequency. Another thing it achieved was to open up and slightly brighten the overall tone in a good way. I tend to like slightly darker tones, but the Scumback made a noticeable improvement imo.

I would recommend this speaker very highly to anyone that owns a Mesa or other amp they consider too dark. It maintains a very warm character, but is very clear and vibrant. It is nice when you make a purchase based on someone's recommendation and it works better than expected. The nice thing is, I'm sure with added hours, the speaker will sound better and better.

ARRRG, stop giving me GAS pains!!

Seriously, the scumback option sounds really cool. Can you record it so we can hear the results? Do you have a 27" 1 x 12 combo? I have the head with a 27" 1 x 12 extension cab with the MC-90 in it. It's fantastic as is and I'd be assed to change anything, but this reminds me of what we did to my brother's Lonestar Special. We dumped a G12H Heritage into his combo and he says it just sounds far better overall. More open and less constipated.

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/h_series.html

Edit: Upon listening to some clips, I'm always attracted to the G12m kind of tone. Just love the woody creamy tone of those speakers!!!

Unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment. The Scumback also opens up the tone a lot. Like I said, the bottom tightened up condiderably and the amp isn't as dark. I'm not complaining about the darkness of the ED. I tend to like dark, but that can be controlled with the EQ.

I also have a Eminence EJ1250 that will be here today. I plan to experiment with it. If I like the tone, I may even install it in a 1x12 Port City OS Wave cab I have and run it together with the Scumback. We'll see how that goes lol.

For me when I played the Mesa ED into a 412 cabinet loaded with Celestion G1265 Vintage Guitar Speakers that was it! It gave me just the right amount of sag and punch I was looking for to bring out what I wanted. I don't know if the newer speakers are the same but mine we original and well broken in!

Night and day difference next to the original speaker that ships with the ED combo in a good way.

Yes. Speaker choice is right up there with Guitar, Amplifier, and Cabinet for things that have a gigantically massive impact on overall tone.
I personally love the stock speaker in combination with the Electra Dyne because it has such a fantastic clean tone, such a tight percussive bottom end, and it particularly shines for lead work. Since the Electra Dyne does great rhythm crunch tones out of the box, it does not require a lot of heavy lifting with this. The c90 also sounds more gainy / saturated than probably any other speaker so it is a great choice for the amp.
If I was to customize my speakers, I don't really know what I'd do. If it were a 4 x 12, I'd go with the Stiletto / Traditional recto 4 x 12 since I find the stock v30s also match up really nicely with the Electra Dyne.
For custom speakers, I really like greenbacks but it I can't find myself getting motivated to change something that already works so well. If I was to 'try' something, the Scumback 75H or 75m both seem like something worth investigating, especially since they can be had with 100 watts worth of power handling. I have always been partial to the sound of a Marshall 4 x 12 loaded with greenbacks but I am always turned off because those poor speakers have so much trouble coping with the low end that a mesa always manages to dish out. A 100 watt version might fit the bill and the decrease in efficiency is not a bad thing with an amplifier that has that much gumption. G12H 30s are also sweet speakers so I can see how that would be a great option as well.
If I was forced to customize speakers, I'd probably blend v30s with something else in a 4 x 12. I love greenbacks so I might put a pair of 50watt 75m Scumbacks in a Stiletto cab with the v30s. The 75H would be another option that might work favourably as well. I haven't tried the Celestion 65s but I'm more partial to chunkier high gain tones so it is difficult for me to determine my reaction. Don't know until you try, I guess.

Right now, I'm happy with what I have so I intend on keeping it that way as long as possible!

YellowJacket said:
Yes. Speaker choice is right up there with Guitar, Amplifier, and Cabinet for things that have a gigantically massive impact on overall tone.
I personally love the stock speaker in combination with the Electra Dyne because it has such a fantastic clean tone, such a tight percussive bottom end, and it particularly shines for lead work. Since the Electra Dyne does great rhythm crunch tones out of the box, it does not require a lot of heavy lifting with this. The c90 also sounds more gainy / saturated than probably any other speaker so it is a great choice for the amp.
If I was to customize my speakers, I don't really know what I'd do. If it were a 4 x 12, I'd go with the Stiletto / Traditional recto 4 x 12 since I find the stock v30s also match up really nicely with the Electra Dyne.
For custom speakers, I really like greenbacks but it I can't find myself getting motivated to change something that already works so well. If I was to 'try' something, the Scumback 75H or 75m both seem like something worth investigating, especially since they can be had with 100 watts worth of power handling. I have always been partial to the sound of a Marshall 4 x 12 loaded with greenbacks but I am always turned off because those poor speakers have so much trouble coping with the low end that a mesa always manages to dish out. A 100 watt version might fit the bill and the decrease in efficiency is not a bad thing with an amplifier that has that much gumption. G12H 30s are also sweet speakers so I can see how that would be a great option as well.
If I was forced to customize speakers, I'd probably blend v30s with something else in a 4 x 12. I love greenbacks so I might put a pair of 50watt 75m Scumbacks in a Stiletto cab with the v30s. The 75H would be another option that might work favourably as well. I haven't tried the Celestion 65s but I'm more partial to chunkier high gain tones so it is difficult for me to determine my reaction. Don't know until you try, I guess.

Right now, I'm happy with what I have so I intend on keeping it that way as long as possible!

I agree. There are lots of speakers that will work well with the ED and it comes down to personal taste. I wanted to tighten the bass and brighten the tone a little overall and the Scumback H75 did exactly what I wanted. This speaker is Jim's interpretation of the G12H30 which is a great well balanced speaker imo. Scumback speakers tend to be warmer than the Celestion speakers they're intended to replicate, which for me is a good thing.

I tried Scumbacks, the M75, H75, and J75. Good speakers but I like the V30 best with the Electra Dyne combos, go figure. I had some Scumbacks in a Port City OS 2x12 cab but since I have the Electra Dyne 2x12 combo it's more than beefy on it's own.

The Electra Dyne 2 x 12 combo is incredibly beefy and yes, the v30s sound fantastic with it. The low frequency rolloff is a godsend with that amp!

I didn't want the air that a 2 x 12 will move so I got a 1 x 12 extension cab with the mc90 instead. It also sounds fantastic but it's bigger and more scooped sounding. Incidentally, it absolutely ROCKs for lead tones!

Back