Another approach to bring the volume down...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
Recently bought a Rivera Rock Crusher, mainly for my 1978 JMP2203 which is LOUDDDD and it works a treat with the Marshall.

However, I was experimenting with the ElectraDyne and didn't like the result as much. Even knocking off as little as 3dB impacted the sound in a bad way, less crisp and lively, quite a bit less treble and punch overall.

However, another thing I did brought me on a different path. I have changed from rack FX to a board, and found that the Cornford Mk50H (one of my other amps) was overloading the pedals in the loop. I got an GLAB ALA-1 loop adapter, which is an active 9V DC device, that lets you knock down or boost the send signal, and do the same with the return signal. By accident I was connecting the EDyne with the ALA-1 board, Send Level -3dB and Return Level -3dB instead of +3dB (I had accidentally hit the wrong switch on the ALA-1).

Funnily I had no sound loss, the effects sounded much clearer, delays coming through better with high gain, and I had lost a good 6dB in the loop, which made the master volume of the ElectraDyne work much better. I am now using the amp like this, using the GLab device to bring the overall level down a good 6dB, and it's awesome. I can go from whisper level, to Bedroom, or TV level all the way up in a good, even curve on the Master. It sounds much better than with the Attenuator, and the GLab is only about 100 bucks.

I can very much recommend this approach to anyone using pedals in the loop. If you use Rack devices with send and return levels, try it out and reduce the volume through the loop, works great. I don't think a volume pedal would have the same effect, as it's a passive unit that would probably suck the life out of the buffered loop signal.

Here is more info on the ALA-1, nice side effect, only one cable from loop send/return to the board:
http://www.glab.com.pl/ala-1_en

Back